Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Backup for Autorouter

Does it offer autorouting and does it work, with e.g. fly-by waypoints?

Re EuroFPL I still use it for VFR flights. I thought they stored previously Eurocontrol-validated route segments and composed validation canditates with them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Autorouting yes – have never tried fly by waypoints

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Only for Germany, however, or with at least one end in Germany.

I used it a lot before switching to Garmin Pilot with Autorouter. It worked very well for any flight (two ends) outside of Germany.

France

That’s astonishing. So the DFS provide an IFR autorouting service for anyone who phones them up? How do you specify the route and how do they get it back to you?

Administrator

Generally, one uses their web portal for compiling and filing flightplans. That’s where the route suggest function is. However, in reality, it often does not find a route.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Let me get this right. The DFS has a website which offers access to the Eurocontrol route suggest function (only)? That’s still useful. Could the URL be posted?

Indeed, the route suggest often fails to find a route.

As to why Eurocontrol still don’t provide a routing facility, is a scandal. They have always had it in-house – a tool called Daedalus. They told me it would be public by 2005

There is still the original one And Moving Terrain which I believe actually works but no idea if they provide any functionality without you having to buy their tablet.

Maybe I should update my original writeup, but most of it is still correct.

Administrator
EDMA, Germany

Here. Register first. Then log in, then click on “FPL – Flightplan”.
When you fill in an FPL, once you selected “I” and get to the route field, the route suggest button appears.

You can indeed file FPLs for any geographical region via the German AIS. They are happy about any work they can get.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Dec 09:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

They are happy about any work they can get.

Clearly so

That’s worth knowing.

Higher up the food chain, I hear that Universal and Jepp still offer route packs. Probably quite expensive. Universal also make money on fuel cards; RR are trying to get into that business (they sold out, or partly sold out, to BP).

I have just tried EuroFPL. Their search function immediately returned EGKA WIZAD M140 DVR/N0150F110 L10 RINTI B3 CMB/N0150F140 B3 RLP G4 HOC L613 RIPUS N850 ODINA M727 SRN L615 ADOSA L612 CHI L614 PUL N606 ZDA L607 SPL LDSB but it doesn’t validate. It is a route I did quite some years ago… In fact there seems to be no working functionality for automated route development at all.

FPP still works to a reasonable extent. More so if you are willing to hack the route with DCTs etc.

I also tried the DFS function. It works for some routes. However the lack of fly-by waypoints is a problem e.g. EGKA-LESA you want to route via e.g. BTZ to avoid the huge water section.

EuroFPL have not updated their validation site since 2012 so it doesn’t work unless you paste in a whole flight plan string.

FPP is the best bet by far currently…

Administrator

Why would Autorouter disappear ?

Sign in to add your message