Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to file a flight plan for IFR flights in uncontrolled airspace in France (and other places)

At FL90, you will be crossing 3deg paths to CDG as well few arrivals/departures NIKOL/RANUX?

At FL50 over there is fine down there, maybe FL140 would be fine?

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Oct 09:28
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I can’t go as high FL140 (no turbo, o2 or de-ice), and FL50 is below minimum airway altitude. But my question really is what happens in practice if I file this and set off, will ATC route me around conveniently for us both, or do I have to plan some alternative route?

United Kingdom

I would file it and fly lower on Alpha base if offered a long detour…

Last Edited by Ibra at 23 Oct 10:48

@Uptimist the simple answer is that normally ATC will route you around, conveniently for you both. At least that has always been my experience.

France

So I did this trip last week and was routed direct from TRACA to BILGO at FL90. So no problems with that bit of airspace and a slight shortcut on my flightplan.

United Kingdom

I flew LFPN-LFAO this weekend both out & return to/from Bagonles were under IFR, as usual AutoRouter requires FL70 near Paris and hooking to SID & STAR, I filed FL70 both ways but I flew at FL50 to stay between the layers (icing level was at FL60 with some tiny frontal stratus)

Large portion of the trip was IFR OCAS but zero issues leaving & join, I was following the usual winter guidelines:
- Can’t make SID/STAR, advise as early as possible (on startup and 30min before re-join CAS)
- File at FL70 and if necessary fly FL50 (2kft difference is acceptable and 4kft is not)
- Take care of your own in Golf (traffic, terrain, restricted areas like VFR flight)

If I needs more that this cancel IFR and sort it VFR fully OCAS to avoid IFR/VFR switching or IFR at low altitudes…

Last Edited by Ibra at 08 Nov 16:10

Hello @all,
I don´t know which thread is the best to ask this question, I´ll just bring up this one.
I flew to Toussus yesterday and back to Mainz today. All in all a great family trip without too many surprises. The question I have is about the class of airspace near Reims.

Funnily enough, the flight to LFPN validated through Eurocontrol at FL80, the return flight would only validate at FL120 or higher. The routings between Paris TMA and Luxembourg were only a few miles apart.

Today, while approaching the end of the SID after an eternity at DIKOL I wanted to turn directly to MMD, instead of waiting until intercepting the airway M163 at FL90. Paris told me I could not turn, although I would definitely have stayed clear of the restricted airspace south of the route. I asked the controller for confirmation I was in class G airspace, but she told me I was in class E. I´m not sure she was right, what do you guys think?
I was not about to argue with her of course, it did not make much of a difference anyway, but I was rather astonished.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Caba wrote:

I asked the controller for confirmation I was in class G airspace, but she told me I was in class E. I´m not sure she was right, what do you guys think?

Often the Class E is not show on the charts as it does not affect the VFR anyway. @Ibra can point you in the right directions.

EGTR

Caba wrote:

I asked the controller for confirmation I was in class G airspace, but she told me I was in class E. I´m not sure she was right, what do you guys think?

All airways in France which are not parts of another CTA are class E from their lower limit to FL115 (or higher in mountainous terrain). Airways normally extend 5 NM to either side of the centreline. At DIKOL you’d be in in AWY J10 with lower limit FL65, so above that level you’d be in class E.

This class E is not charted by e.g. SkyDemon. Don’t know about ForeFlight.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

As arj1 said it’s Echo Airways usually above FL65 all over France, they are not shown on the map but it’s not Golf

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Apr 19:22
Sign in to add your message