Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Can an autopilot stall in Pitch hold mode?

JasonC wrote:

ie you never disconect the A/P during the go around?

Yes, you just hit the GA button on the side of the throttle handle

EGTR

nokicky wrote:

That’s pretty clever!

Looking forward to the same in the RV-14A I’m building…

EGEO

nokicky wrote:

Same as in the SR22 G5 I did my IR on.

On most aircraft the GA button disconnects the autopilot, sets the flight director bars to a suitable pitch up, and sequences the FMS onto the first point in the missed approach procedure. The obvious downside to keeping the autopilot engaged is what happens if the pilot doesn’t increase the power enough, retarcr the wheels, etc

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

… and the obvious upside is that the pilot can do all that without risking loss of control by momentary distraction close to the ground…

Non-speed aware autopilots could not fly the transition from approach to climb safely – while they know what the right attitude for the climb is, they have no way of knowing how fast to adjust the pitch. Hence they can show you the pitch angle you should aim for, but leave it to you to raise the nose as appropriate.

The reason the latest generation of autopilots can do this is not that they have protections, but they can smoothly adjust the pitch for the correct speed.They should never come near the point where the protections kick in

Biggin Hill

Cobalt wrote:

The reason the latest generation of autopilots can do this is not that they have protections, but they can smoothly adjust the pitch for the correct speed.They should never come near the point where the protections kick in

Except the DA42 doesn’t have this coupled go-around feature, even though it has a speed aware autopilot with FLC mode etc. It’s the additional of USP in the DA62 that got this feature through certification (even if you need the speed awareness for it to function…).

Last Edited by nokicky at 09 Jan 17:47
EGTR

I strongly suspect regulatory gold plating.

Biggin Hill

I think you will find Garmin don’t want the capability out there without underspeed protection. I very much doubt it is down to the regulators.

The Mustang doesn’t have the capability either. The new PA46s with USP do.

EGTK Oxford
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message