Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

HITS (Highway In The Sky) / Target

Do we also have 3 lifes and one extra appearing after 100miles? :)

Belgium

Noe wrote:

It’s just like X-Wing (computer game)

Ha, nice. If this were Facebook I’d give you a “like” for the mentioning of X-Wing alone. The series basically and concurrently with MS Flight Simulator kickstarted my interest in flying.

And yes, thanks for the image. More or less what I imagined it to look like.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

JasonC wrote:

Garmin calls it pathways. Pretty sure G500 has it. It is the boxes in the air you are supposed to fly through.

Definitely not part of Garmin’s G500/600.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

wigglyamp wrote:

Definitely not part of Garmin’s G500/600.

Oh well, they arent missing anything!

EGTK Oxford

What would be really useful is if somebody who uses this presentation actually posted detail about how they combine it (or indeed IF they combine it) with the primary references e.g. a flight director or the HSI bats. One-liners won’t really do

Pretty obviously the technique for setting up the power and the ROD when flying through the “windows” is different to more conventional presentations.

I have used this on a sim and while it is dead easy to just fly through the windows (like they did in Star Wars etc) using the yoke, controlling the speed etc is a whole different game. Most of us don’t have auto throttle.

From the lack of response so far it seems that most people think it is wonderful but nobody actually uses it

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

JasonC wrote:

Oh well, they arent missing anything!

I would agree with Jason on that it must be like driving through a snow storm with them boxes flying at you.

I do find it useful to “see” the procedure a bit more ahead. If you see the “tunnel” ahead of you in an oblique direction (the HSI “pointer”), then you get a better idea of when the HSI bar is going to become centered. It also visualises better (in my opinion) interecting a GS from Below, for instance.
I do also find them more obvious than the flight director (I do lack FD discipline, I mostly use it to check that the AP is going to do the right thing. Most of the time, when flying manually, I disable it (to train to not just follow the cursor an interpret a bit more the instruments).

Basically, it represents on your screen the picture you should have in your head, if you are ahead of the plane. The HSI / Flight director don’t.

17 Posts
Sign in to add your message