Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EASA operations, equipment and document carriage requirements

I've just come across this.

"ST82482013ADD4ENpdf":/system/1/userfiles/files/000/040/886/40886/4cec2b87f/original/ST82482013ADD4EN.pdf

Some "interesting" snippets:

Page 4 - no electronic devices allowed "that could adversely affect the performance of the aircraft’s systems" .... ho hum.... sell your Apple shares quick (if you haven't done so already)!

Page 5 - documents to be carried; for the first time some must be carried as originals. Any opinions on whether a certified copy is an "original"? It is stupid to carry original documents on a plane.

Page 6 - a Journey Log "Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights, in the form of a journey log, or equivalent." No specification on how far back this has to go, so this is a bit meaningless. Anybody has any ideas on the intended meaning and more relevantly the likely enforcement?

Page 8 - aerodrome operating minima; I can't see anything earth-shattering here, because basically one flies to the minima published on the approach plate, etc, though I suppose many fly with the free AIP plates which omit a lot of stuff

Page 12 - fuel reserves for IFR are now aligned with the FAA Part 91 regs (dest, alt, 45 mins) where an alternate is required (which is most of the time, realistically)

Page 14 - any source can be used for a weather briefing (no need to use "approved" websites)

Page 18 - a ground proximity warning must be acted on (a retrograde step; takes all the fun out of aviation )

Page 24 - a turn and slip indicator (so those who put in another AI in place of the TC are illegal)

Page 26 - oxygen above 10000ft (basically)

Page 27 - fixed ELT is not mandatory; a handheld PLB is OK for 6-seaters and less

Page 27 - life jackets if beyond gliding distance from land (this will be a big change for ops at most coastal airports because a departure over the sea....)

Plus a load of stuff for helicopters, sailplanes and baloons.

The preface says

If the aircraft is registered in a third country, the competent authority shall be the authority designated by the Member State where the operator is established or residing

so this overrides State of Registry rules, but those still need to be complied with too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Looks rather reasonable, very little difference to what we had before.

procedures and visual signals information for use by intercepting and intercepted aircraft;

That must come from the UK CAA, no other state required this until now.

current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;

I like that, same wording as in the current German regulation, leaves it up to the pilot to determine what type of map to use.

The pilot-in-command shall make available within a reasonable time of being requested to do so by the competent authority, the documentation required to be carried on board.

Also nice, this means one does not have to produce the documentation on the spot.

Page 6 - a Journey Log "Particulars of the aircraft, its crew and each journey shall be retained for each flight, or series of flights, in the form of a journey log, or equivalent." No specification on how far back this has to go, so this is a bit meaningless. Anybody has any ideas on the intended meaning and more relevantly the likely enforcement?

Identical to the current German law. You have to maintain an aircraft log with all flights and name of the PIC. It has to go back to when the aircraft was first put in service. In addition, a pilot log with the same information has to be maintained and contain each flight, just like with JAR. Everybody should have this.

Before commencing a flight, the pilot-in-command shall be familiar with all available meteorological information appropriate to the intended flight.

I don't like that wording, it is very comprehensive.

The pilot-in-command shall not allow smoking on board:

My Cessna has 4 ashtrays. I might have to install an illuminated non smoking sign! Any STCs available?

The pilot-in-command shall only commence or continue an IFR flight towards the planned destination aerodrome if the latest available meteorological information indicates that, at the estimated time of arrival

I don't like that either. It precludes you from just going there and shooting an approach and see if you get lucky. That is stupid.

Non-pressurised aeroplanes operated above flight altitudes at which the pressure altitude in the passenger compartments is above 10 000 ft shall carry enough breathing oxygen to supply: (1) all crew members and at least 10 % of the passengers for any period in excess of 30 minutes when the pressure altitude in the passenger compartment will be between 10 000 ft and 13 000 ft; and

I can carry 3 passengers and 10% of them need oxygen, that is 0.3 passengers. What does that mean?

The pilot-in-command of an aeroplane operated at a distance away from land where an emergency landing is possible greater than that corresponding to 30 minutes at normal cruising speed or 50 NM, whichever is the lesser, shall determine the risks to survival of the occupants of the aeroplane in the event of a ditching, based on which he/she shall determine the carriage of

Wow! "Shall determine the risks", that gives us a lot of freedom! The current German law would require the raft under said conditions.

In general, this document looks reasonable. However, it is clearly underspecified and needs to either be amended or will have national requirements on top. It doesn't say 8.33kHz radio for example.

this means one does not have to produce the documentation on the spot

So, why carry the stuff in the aircraft?

leaves it up to the pilot to determine what type of map to use

That's been the case "for ever" in the civilised world, but one keeps hearing of countries where the carriage of a specific chart type is mandated - or flight training establishment rumours suggesting that

It has to go back to when the aircraft was first put in service.

Where is the reference for that? I think this is ICAO, and ICAO doesn't say. One well-EASA-connected person I know said the journey log needs to reflect all flights in the current country.

The vast majority of owners will not be able to produce a journey log going back to Day 1.

It precludes you from just going there and shooting an approach and see if you get lucky. That is stupid

Do you think that was the intention? It may be stupid but why should it be illegal? It is 100% legal to fly somewhere, go around, and fly somewhere else.

It doesn't say 8.33kHz radio for example

Yes; there must be other stuff. For example BRNAV, PRNAV, etc.

I know the T&B indicator seems a piece of trivia but (a) a TC is not the same as T&B and (b) loads of people in the USA have removed their TC and put in another AI, which is far more sensible. These, if flying in Europe, will be illegal.

Administrator

Where is the reference for that? I think this is ICAO, and ICAO doesn't say. One well-EASA-connected person I know said the journey log needs to reflect all flights in the current country. The vast majority of owners will not be able to produce a journey log going back to Day 1.

I thought it was a JAR requirement to have a log book with all your flights as a pilot? It surely has been a legal requirement in Germany for decades. I know that in the US it is not required and if you ask a US pilot about how many hours he's got, he will not be able to give you an exact answer whereas a German pilot will be able to tell you this down to each minute. The very same requirement exists for the aircraft logbook. Is this really just a German thing, I was rather certain it's a JAR requirement.

I thought it was a JAR requirement to have a log book with all your flights as a pilot?

That's a pilot logbook.

No argument there.

I was talking about a journey log for the plane.

Administrator

I was talking about a journey log for the plane.

Yes, every aircraft and Germany has had that forever. At least since 1976 which is the oldest I have Are you saying a G-reg aircraft does not have such a journey log? This is also where maintenance is entered and the "release to service" stickers are put in.

As well as a personal log book do people not keep a separate log of all aircraft movements, or have I misunderstood this? My aircraft has a techlog which we keep at it's base and records dates, PIC/passengers, from,to,times,a count down from 50 to 0 indicating when we need a '50', and any defects - amongst a few other things.

Page 4 - no electronic devices allowed "that could adversely affect the performance of the aircraft’s systems" .... ho hum.... sell your Apple shares quick (if you haven't done so already)!

I guess it depends if there is a register of devices that 'adversely affect the performance of the aircraft systems', which will be unlikely, or there is some test in the courts that proved an iPad was directly responsible for a incident of some kind. Otherwise its a nice sentence of course, but effectively pointless. All I ask in my plane is that people turn off Blackberries if they have them, as they do interfere with voice communication. iPhones are no problem though :-)

(b) loads of people in the USA have removed their TC and put in another AI, which is far more sensible. These, if flying in Europe, will be illegal.

Not just N reg, it's been that way for HB reg too.

LSZK, Switzerland

(b) loads of people in the USA have removed their TC and put in another AI, which is far more sensible. These, if flying in Europe, will be illegal.

I don't understand how you could fly IFR without a TC? You are required to perform standard rate turns and those are indicated by the TC. Of course you can derive the turn rate from a given bank angle / airspeed combination but that is less exact.

38 Posts
Sign in to add your message