Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Class C and D Airways - Caernarfon to Eglinton

I'm planning a route from Caernarfon to Eglinton.

A straight line at FL85 looks technically feasible on my IMCr (no Class A) but does involve transit of a number of class C and D airways.

Never looked to go through an airway (as opposed to a CTA/CTR) before. Is it feasible, or will I just be told to ROCAS as I'm on a random crossing heading rather than going along the airway?

SkyDemon also does not list the controlling ATSU like it does for CTAs and CTRs.

EGLM & EGTN

SkyDemon also does not list the controlling ATSU like it does for CTAs and CTRs That's a bit annoying. Consult the ENR 3.1 of the AIP for the list of frequencies for crossing.

If you're unsure talk to Scottish Control 123.775

Consult the ENR 3.1 of the AIP for the list of frequencies for crossing.

Thanks for that! Tricky document to read but I'm getting there, looks like responsibility for most of that space is delegated to Dublin Control.

EGLM & EGTN

There is another angle here worth checking: I vaguely recall reading that the UK does not allow enroute VFR in Class C.

And the IFR privileges of the IMC Rating are Class D,E,F,G only.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ah, bummer. Looks like a dogleg around the Charlie airspace then.

EGLM & EGTN

Ah, actually perhaps not.

ENR 1.4 lists VFR minima for Charlie airspace. It isn't blanked through with 'VFR not permitted' like it is for Alpha airspace.

So, VMC prevailing, it might be do-able.

EGLM & EGTN

If it's class C then the chances are it's delegated to Dublin.

I've been cleared into those airways before VFR, but it will depend on how busy they are. They do then to want to keep you out of controlled airspace, but always worth asking.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

When this ridiculous piece of airspace was created, some of us who protested about being forced down to 3,500' in the middle of Irish Sea were fobbed off with the assurance that it's class C, not A, and that it would be delegated to Dublin anyway. Not so.

Coming out of Weston routeing Holyhead in April, I asked the ever helpful Dublin if they could get me a clearance through L975. Not only could they not do this, but there was some scrabbling around looking for a frequency before they came back with Scottish Control, as if no-one ever asked that before. (I did not contact Scottish because by the time that Dublin came up with the frequency I was already at the boundary).

This is not a problem if D201 is cold because a small deviation to the S will do it, but unusually on this day D201B was Hot, and I ended up crossing the sea at 3000'. In my view this is a definite and completely unneccesary hazard to life on a day when good VFR existed at 5000' and above. It would be good to know if anyone actually has obtained a VFR clearance through this piece of bureacracy, sorry I mean 'Airspace'.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Coming out of Weston routeing Holyhead in April, I asked the ever helpful Dublin if they could get me a clearance through L975. Not only could they not do this, but there was some scrabbling around looking for a frequency before they came back

No idea how this happens. For a departure to the east from Weston, you request for clearance through the Dublin CTR, and if you're already high enough you should be nicely taken into that airway.

if you're already high enough you should be nicely taken into that airway.

Not for me. I was high enough, and with the delay in getting the clearance frequency, I'd have crossed the boundary slap bang into it without a clearance if I'd continued. I don't think Dublin would have intervened, but I don't know that.

I was not prepared with the Scottish frequency because I'd mistakenly been fobbed off with the tale about how it's delegated to Dublin anyway, which it isn't. I don't know if the Scottish frequency appears on the S England map.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message