Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dual logging (EASA and FAA)

HeliPilot wrote:

You can fly all you want with an instructor sitting next to you; if you are PIC you log PIC.

With the FAA, one does not log the time acting as PIC. With an instructor sitting next to you, either pilot may be acting as PIC and if the instructor is providing training, both pilots may log PIC. The instructor would log dual given and the pilot would log dual received. If there are two pilots on board an aircraft, certified for single pilot operation, aircraft, and neither is an instructor, only the pilot manipulating the controls may log PIC unless the right seat pilot is both acting as the PIC and is required by regulation as would be the case for a safety pilot. In that case, both pilots may log PIC. Who is acting as PIC is based on an agreement between the pilots and must be current in the aircraft. If the pilot acting as PIC is not required for the flight by the regulations, for example two pilots who are buddies that are both rated in the aircraft and the pilot acting as PIC allows the buddy to do all the flying, only the buddy can log PIC.

KUZA, United States

It’s quite funny…

I started in 2000 with a “CAA approved” (obviously) logbook from Pooleys

and I still had it for my FAA IR in Arizona in 2006. Nobody said anything.

Now I am on my 3rd or so “FAA” logbook which has all the right columns which NCYankee refers to

and my EASA PPL NPPL IMCR IR revalidations all go in there. Nobody says anything

The one weird thing in Europe (well, one of many weird things in Europe ) is the need for 50hrs “IFR time as PIC” to qualify for the ICAO IR to CB IR conversion. But instrument time logged in the FAA logbook is definitely IFR time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I started in 2000 with a “CAA approved” (obviously) logbook from Pooleys and I still had it for my FAA IR in Arizona in 2006. Nobody said anything. Now I am on my 3rd or so “FAA” logbook which has all the right columns which NCYankee refers to and my EASA PPL NPPL IMCR IR revalidations all go in there. Nobody says anything

Certainly in the US nobody at FAA cares about format and the only recording requirement is for either meeting currency requirements or meeting total experience requirements for a new rating (as mentioned by NCYankee). BFR notations by an instructor would be part of currency requirements. Other than instructors making those hand written BFR entries, nobody except me has looked at my logbook since 2003 or so.

I have had FAA-style logbooks for 23 years now and even the CAA were happy with the format, as I had to present it there twice, the last time during an address change (yes, really, complete joke). Other than that it’s like NCYanke and Silvaire have said – only relevant for BFRs and for the DPE during the oral part of a further rating.

I believe an EASA PPL can log P1, on a flight with an Instructor where he didn’t do take-off or landing, and only had the controls for a few minutes.
( Co-owner, ATPL, Instructor, airline captain, but his SEP had lapsed,.)
He can’t log it, he was to be pax but I invited him to taxi, take-off, fly, and land. Neither of us needs the hours. I’m not adding them .

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

@Malibuflyer in my understanding according to the EASA regs if a pilot does simulated instrument flight with another qualified pilot, then both are crew, even though it is not considered multi-crew. Also if a student or qualified pilot flies with a FI, FE or similar, I would consider both as crew. NCO Ops regulations even go further and there can even be non-pilot crew, like an observer. But this is not the point here.

My main issue is still which would be the legally meant way to log within those two systems. It even became more complicated for me: Besides my EASA PPL I now have a 61.75 FAA and a stand-alone license. If I am jumping into a N-Reg in Germany, which license do I actually use? Theoretically I could fly it with each of them. ;-) However the 61.75 requires the EASA to be current and the stand-alone requires a FAA medical. If I have all of that, am I flying on the EASA or FAA ticket?

In reality it is quite simple, as pointed out by the Americans in this thread: Only if you need to prove something with the logbook, it is important. While per EASA you are required to log everything, even there mostly you need it for ratings and license applications. So whoever checks your logs will only ask questions if they have doubts. Therefore I will continue to log all specialities for both systems electronically and the obvious and important ones by hand in my logbook.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Peter wrote:

But instrument time logged in the FAA logbook is definitely IFR time.

Sure – but you give away a lot of EASA-IFR-time if you only log with the FAA definition.

TobiBS wrote:

If I have all of that, am I flying on the EASA or FAA ticket?

Is there any practical implication for that question?

Logging is done for a license/rating, not with a license/rating. So it doesn’t matter if for a specific flight you “use” your FAA, EASA or both tickets. Even if you fly a n-reg in the US solo – so clearly on your US ticket – you can log this time and landings in your EASA-logbook towards the currency requirements.

And btw: If you fly with an n reg plane in Germany and commit an offense like a severe airspace infringement, LBA can revoke your German license even if you pretend that you “used” your FAA license for this flight.

Germany

If you fly with an n reg plane in Germany and commit an offense like a severe airspace infringement, LBA can revoke your German license even if you pretend that you “used” your FAA license for this flight.

I think worse can happen, according to this post by a guy who was in the CAA at the time and spent years in “infringement processing”. He now works for an ADS-B box manufacturer – all in the public record.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t see why you would need separate logbooks for FAA and EASA. Simply use different columns. E.g. one column for actual PIC, one for logging PIC (FAA), one for actual instrument time, one for IFR time and one for approaches in instrument conditions. Then anyone can check your flight time against either set of rules.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 16 Sep 09:10
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I disagree with @Peter argument: Instrument time according to FAA is not dependent on flight rules, but IFR time according to EASA is purely flight rule related. Hence flying under the hood VFR with a safety pilot under FAA rules does not count as IFR time per EASA but is still simulated instrument. There are however also instrument flight time requirements for the IR under EASA.

@Malibuflyer Sorry for not precisely pointing out, that my second paragraph was for @Cttime suggestion to log under the rules I am flying. I personally think this does not work well, as again practically you have to convince a DPE or your local CAA to accept your logbook and this is the only thing that is important. However the whole thing is a purely academic exercise, as I experienced practically that you have to convince humans and they might have their interpretations and you don‘t want to convince them through a court decision. ;-)

Of course LBA as well as FAA can revoke their license based on multiple things, even some completely unrelated to flying. ;-) But that was not the point as explained before.

+1 For @Airborne_Again !

Last Edited by TobiBS at 16 Sep 08:43
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS
Sign in to add your message