Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Dual logging (EASA and FAA)

I should have known – the man who knows everything!

The only time the x/c time was relevant was towards the US CPL, c. 2007. The DPE wanted to see some long flights, which I had UK-Spain. I still log it, for fun… Now, of course, a purist will refer one to this great debate

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So the flights to the Alps and back during covid were not x/c

The US interpretion of cross-country time depends on the logging purpose. You already hold a US commercial/instrument so you may count that flight towards the US ATP cross-country time requirements. 14 CFR 61.1(b) “Cross-country time” subpara (vi) [ATP–airplane category]: no point of landing is necessary.

departure and destination are more than 50nm apart

The cross-country time—counted towards the private/commercial/instrument in the airplane category—may include any subsequent segments that involve a point of landing located not more than 50 nmi away. LOI to Van Zanen 2009 (pdf link) or search for Van_Zanen_2009_Legal_Interpretation (including underscores) on drs.faa.gov.

London, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The EASA/UK signoffs (2 yearly SEP CR, and the annual IR test) just get written into this logbook.

Here’s my next question:

Is there a legal requirement for anyone to actually “sign” the logbook?

I stopped doing that after my PPL and nobody has ever complained.
The authority seems only interested in the examiner’s skill test/prof check report, which seems to make more sense.
What counts as a signature anyway? I have the examiner’s name and licence number in my digital logbook entries for completeness and that’s been sufficient so far.

EDDW, Germany

Since I started the FAA route in 2004, I have been using FAA logbooks. I log stuff as usual but the x/c column gets written up only if the departure and destination are more than 50nm apart. So the flights to the Alps and back during covid were not x/c

The EASA/UK signoffs (2 yearly SEP CR, and the annual IR test) just get written into this logbook. No FI has said anything about it.

The 2-yearly FAA BFR goes into a box in the back.

PIC hours prior to the IR are counted differently

Do you mean this ? This suggests it is highly country and FTO dependent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I ran into this issue when converting from FAA to EASA IR, because PIC hours prior to the IR are counted differently.

I ended up with two logbooks. It keeps different things clearly seperated like IFR vs. IMC and all those nuances. When I flew purely VFR it didn’t really matter, except that the authority kept trying to convince me to switch to an EASA logbook at each revalidation.

For some reason I consider the FAA logbook the main one and the EASA logbook is for compliance only, with minimal content (remarks empty unless required).

Qalupalik wrote:

You have presumably logged the FAA IR training time as PIC under the SMOC rule. 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1). For EASA purposes, these hours will be counted only as dual instruction time and not as PIC. Do not amend your logbook. If it matters, you could insert an index card with summary adjustments.

Thank you! I keep a paper EASA logbook and run the FAA one on excel. I wanted to be accurate in the SEP renewal form, hence the Dual vs PIC question.

KHPN, LFBE, EGKB, United States

TobiBS wrote:

@Qalupapik What is meant with PU/T and where is this in EASA regs? Same question regarding P1, is this all old (and after leaving the EASA)/new UK CAA terminology?

It seems I missed this question three years ago. PUT corresponds to dual instruction time and P1 to pilot-in-command time. FCL.010. Some of the UK logging rules are inconsistent with Part-FCL, eg logging a pass in a proficiency check (single-pilot aeroplane/operation) as PICUS. The UK practice has remained the same over the past two decades. The only exception I can recall is that, until about 2012, the UK CAA counted one hour of flight by sole reference to the instruments as equivalent to four hours of flight under the instrument flight rules. @Tumbleweed can add more.

@xavierde

You have presumably logged the FAA IR training time as PIC under the SMOC rule. 14 CFR 61.51(e)(1). For EASA purposes, these hours will be counted only as dual instruction time and not as PIC. Do not amend your logbook. If it matters, you could insert an index card with summary adjustments.

Alpha_Floor wrote:

If you fly an N-reg under your FAA licence, log your time according to FAA flight time logging rules.
If you fly an EASA-reg under your EASA licence, log the time according to EASA logging rules.

The choice of logging rules should be independent of the licence used. This have been slightly complicated by FCL.050 which creates a requirement for all flight time to be logged.

London, United Kingdom

xavierde wrote:

In the end, did you figure out how to log your FAA hours under EASA?

I think the question of logging time was solved.

If you fly an N-reg under your FAA licence, log your time according to FAA flight time logging rules.
If you fly an EASA-reg under your EASA licence, log the time according to EASA logging rules.

You can log it all in the same logbook. There’s no need to “separate” EASA times and FAA times. Flight time is flight time, as long as it was legally logged under “a” authority, it’s valid time!

Cttime wrote:

Flight time should be logged under the authority of which you are flying under. Fullfil the FAA requirements to log PIC and flying an N reg, log PIC. Flying an EASA reg, log DUAL.
When reporting your hours report them according to the rules under which they were logged unless specifically requested to report in a different way.

I moved away from physical logbooks a long while ago and only log digitally. You can create your own spreadsheet and add as many columns as you need. In terms of using the same flight to show currency to different authorities who are asking for slightly different things, well just add more columns to the spreadsheet to capture each of the specific time requirements!

You can add columns for time: flying under IFR, flying in IMC, flying by sole reference to the instruments (actual), flying by sole reference to instruments (simulated), being the sole manipulator of the controls, being PIC, being safety pilot etc.
Then filter out what you don’t need to show to the relevant authority when showing currency… EASA only care for time flying under IFR? Show them that. FAA want to see instrument time, actual or simulated, well show them that…

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 26 Oct 08:28
EDDW, Germany

Malibuflyer wrote:

And btw: If you fly with an n reg plane in Germany and commit an offense like a severe airspace infringement, LBA can revoke your German license even if you pretend that you “used” your FAA license for this flight.

The Germans can revoke your German flight crew licence based on something unrelated like a traffic infraction. For this reason (and others like the bloody ZÜP thing, the love for faxes etc.) having a pilot’s licence issued by Germany, unless it’s requirement by an employer (airlines…), is a huge liability and I don’t see why anyone would do it.

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 26 Oct 08:05
EDDW, Germany

What was the saying… fly what you can, log what you need?

EDDW, Germany
38 Posts
Sign in to add your message