Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Paper chart requirements ?

I am a little lost on the legal requirements to carry paper charts as a backup for electronic charts, particularly in France … Is there a clear policy on this matter ?
Thanks for any tips

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

NCC.GEN.140 Documents, manuals and information to be carried

(a) The following documents, manuals and information shall be carried on each flight as originals or copies unless otherwise specified:
<…>
(11) current and suitable aeronautical charts for the route of the proposed flight and all routes along which it is reasonable to expect that the flight may be diverted;

One may argue that the documents can be in digital form, but the fact that charts are listed together with the usual set of documents like registration certificate, certificate of airworthiness, etc. makes me think most flight examiners and inspectors doing ramp check would expect to see paper ones. In particular, I had an examiner tell me off for not having a paper IFR chart on an IFR revalidation.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Ultranomad wrote:

I had an examiner tell me off for not having a paper IFR chart on an IFR revalidation

Very subjective. My examiner is the opposite, laughs at me if I turn up with paper charts and always encourages me to use digital products.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Part-NCC is for complex aircraft. Most of us should consider Part-NCO.

However, AMC for Part-NCC (complex non-commercial) states:

AMC1 NCC.GEN.140
Documents, manuals and information to be carried
GENERAL
The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.

AMC for Part-NCO (non-complex non-commercial) states basically the same:

GM1 NCO.GEN.135
Documents, manuals and information to be carried
GENERAL
(b) The documents, manuals and information may be available in a form other than on printed paper. An electronic storage medium is acceptable if accessibility, usability and reliability can be assured.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme, there is an equivalent provision in Part-NCO, but thanks for the GM/AMC anyway, I stand corrected!

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 08 Feb 11:57
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thank you all for your guidance :)
Safe flying

Cessna Silver Eagle C10T owner / pilot
LFPN, France

For VFR I see no reason to carry a backup to my iPad with SkyDemon. For IFR I try to carry an extra iPad if the charts are not integrated into the avionics.

Flying with an outdated paper chart is not allowed, and how do you know(proving) that you are carrying the latest edition? This is way easier in digital format.

ESSZ, Sweden

Every paper chart is outdated once you hold it in your hands.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I believe it’s more or less clear that you may legally fly with electronic charts alone on a private flight under Part-NCO.

Anybody knows about the requirement to use PRINTED UK CAA VFR charts on a PPL or CPL test in the UK? Is this stated somewhere?

This UK CAA Standards document on CPL tests lists “current publications for the routing and airfields”, as well as “planning material including a map”. It doesn’t say one must use the UK CAA VFR chart. Nor that one must not use an electronic chart (such as SkyDemon in planning mode, rather than in moving map mode).

Any opinions?

Last Edited by Alpha_Floor at 28 Mar 00:06
EDDW, Germany

Even in Part-CAT we do it for years already.
Not a single paper map/chart.

Poland
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message