Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying at BCMT (beginning of civil morning twilight)

There is a GM (guidance material) about the night definition:

To enable practical application of the definition of night, evening and morning civil twilight may be promulgated pertinent to the date and position.

So NAA are entitled to put a simplified definition in the AIP.

But if some NAA inspector cause you trouble for landing 32 minutes after sunset, you’ll be able to point him at the difference of the law and the practical simplification.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Apparently UK CAA has reverted the few SERA items but mostly those for which it already had exemptions (Class D VMC minima for VFR, strictly speaking it’s ICAO

So if I fly my EASA aircraft, on an EASA licence into the UK, presumably I need to comply with both SERA and the UKANO, and have to take the most restrictive definition of night if I’m not night current? In other words, if I’m not night current, then the flight must be at day time per SERA and UKANO?

If I am in the UK in EASA aircraft on an EASA licence, and I’m trying to perform my night landing in order to regain night currency presumably I only count landings which are at night per EASA definition?

Why does the UK always have to be different?!

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 14 Jan 15:05
EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

So if I fly my EASA aircraft, on an EASA licence into the UK, presumably I need to comply with both SERA and the UKANO, and have to take the most restrictive definition of night if I’m not night current? In other words, if I’m not night current, then the flight must be at day time per SERA and UKANO?

If I am in the UK in EASA aircraft on an EASA licence, and I’m trying to perform my night landing in order to regain night currency presumably I only count landings which are at night per EASA definition?

Why does the UK always have to be different?!

For pax night currency flights & logbook flight time, I imagine that’s related to your licence?
Fort MSA and VMC weather for NVFR ops or airfield opening hours/night ops, I imagine it’s related to “country airspace rules of the air”?

I doubt aircraft registration or EASA/non-EASA type or Part21, Annex1/2/3 does matters

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

AFAIU, rules apply like this:

If I fly an aircraft registered in country R in the airspace of country A with a license from country L then,

• License rules of country L apply
• Airspace rules of country A apply
• Operational rules of both countries A and R apply.

So if you — today — fly as you describe, SERA does not apply. (Except as far as the UK says it applies.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message