Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skew T

I use
https://www.skewtlogpro.com/

but you have to accept some minor restrictions in Europe. Not completely bug free as yet but quite interesting. BTW affected by the Shutdown these days

France

@Flyamax: I tried that but it is not available in my Apple Appstore (The Netherlands).

EDLE, Netherlands

Where is Skew-T Log available? It’s not in the US Apple store.

Depends on whether you want forecast skew-t or actual skew-t.

The former is generally computed from GFS (the European data agencies such as ECMWF) are prohibited by the EU from publishing 3D data, so windy.com is the best you get) and is thus worth as much as GFS i.e. not a lot.

The latter is accessible via e.g. Univ of Wyoming – see notes here and one could write server code which rips it from there…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quote The former is generally computed from GFS (the European data agencies such as ECMWF) are prohibited by the EU from publishing 3D data

What is this about the EU prohibiting the use of GFS model data? Source?

EDLE, Netherlands

Indeed … Windy is a great app.

EDLE, Netherlands

Not looking to convert you but at first I used to look at SkewT and guess left and right on the raw data but you can have better and free visualization tools for what are you looking to derive from it?

For my flying I just got pass it and now I use a combination of Windy (for power/cloulds) and Rasp (for glider/thermals) both will process and smooth the SkewT forcast/actual data for you and give something as close to 3D+time on various models with many layers, the only missing bits relates to airmass stability and ability to backup historical forcasts but that is fine as you will check them regularly

Or is there something specific in SkewT data that these visualisation apps will just miss or process too much?

Last Edited by Ibra at 24 Jan 19:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Skew T is no more than a 3D plot of temp and humidity, which you can do out of GFS data.

But it is only as good as the GFS data.

As accountants say, cash in the bank is king and everything else is conjecture

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, SkewT is just a visualisation tool, but one can get better than that now: if you want to see clouds better have it directly derived from GFS and see then on 2D slices in windy?

Of course if GFS inputs are crap then you are bankrupt ;)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The reason I ask is that there seems to be someone from the UK promoting his aviation school on FB and when I watch his promotional video messages, I get the idea that he is not using any numerical weather prediction models such as GFS or others but seems to be crazy about Skew-T diagrams. I have a simple gramet-like vertical profile of my intended flight that I can quickly generate in the flight plan app that I use and in another app, I can see for any airport on earth a simple GFS-model based Skew-T diagram showing expected cloud layers, freezing level and minus 20 degrees C level, which graph I can move forward in time T+24 hours to see how the weather will evolve over time at that location.

Somehow, I got the impression that I was missing maybe something important. @Peter: I am glad you mentioned Windy again as I had looked at this app in the past but seemingly it has become very mature. How to see a vertical profile of the weather in Windy.com or its app is not clear to me yet. Any tips appreciated.

@Ibra: Rasp: looks like a great app, but a bit static in that it downloads fixed timed data only. Thanks!

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 24 Jan 19:58
EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message