Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Your AERO 2018 highlights

and even though PC is not one of my virtues, it is hard to believe this sort of thing sells products nowadays

I would also think so but the contrary is true. This company is doing apparently well and the owner also runs a huge shop at EDNY.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

From the Uncertified side:

As was known for some time, the 600 kg MTOM (from 472 kg if equipped with a parachute) for UL’s is going ahead, probably a done deal this year. This goes along with an increase in allowable Vs0 from 35 KIAS to 45 KIAS, an empty weight of 365 kg and a Take-Off distance (15 m obstacle clearance) of 400 m. NOW, this is what seems to be what the Germans are going for, but since UL-regulations are outside of EASA and a purely national thing, there are other countries that may or will deviate from these specs. I believe the French will go for a marginal increase in MTOM and empty weight. A lot is unclear at this stage. This fragmentation creates complications:

1. It is a problems for manufacturers of course. It is impossible to design an aircraft according to various different specs.

2. Overflying countries with different rules. Crossing a border and suddenly being illegal. Unclear how this will work out.

Nonetheless, it is expected that it provides an impulse to the industry which has been on hold a bit during the last few years.

@sugarcube No real surprises and this was not expected either. It’s all about battery energy density of course. Many discussions on the forum here.

The two things that were somewhat interesting were:

The Siemens/Magnus hybrid testbed. Takes off and lands battery powered and cruises on a small diesel driving a generator. If the diesel fails you have some 10 minutes battery power to find a spot to land, IF the batteries have been recharged in the meantime. Again, only a test bed, any production versions would provide more battery power and more options in case of an ICE failure. Nice stuff..

Czech ONIX battery powered aircraft based on an existing motor-glider. Early days though, it will take them years to ‘certify’ this, but of course during these years batteries only get better. I would be in for one, the visibility from the cockpit is outstanding and the aircraft looks and probably flies nice. Plus it has the same electric plug as my BMW i3

Last Edited by aart at 23 Apr 08:58
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

mh wrote:

What are your highlights of the Aero exhibition?

Greeting Peter at the PPL/IR Europe stand, of course!

I am replying in the same spirit, bookworm: it was great to see you too, but I didn’t re-subscribe

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message