Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

JAA/EASA IR revalidation timings

When I did my initial IRT at the end of Jan 2012, the examiner said I can revalidate it anytime during the preceeding 90 days (from my vague memory).

So I did that - revalidating it during last November.

Does this mean I have to revalidate the IR next time before end of Nov 2013, or do I have till Jan 2014?

If the former, then what is the point of being able to revalidate it during the preceeding 90 days? If you revalidate it early (during those 90 days) you just lose validity.

I am well aware that if one's IR expires by even 1 day, it's back to an FTO with all the hassle that potentially involves - especially for aircraft owners.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does this mean I have to revalidate the IR next time before end of Nov 2013, or do I have till Jan 2014?

EDDS - Stuttgart

The latter

LSZK, Switzerland

That means that the date on which you did your initial IRT remains the relevant date, for ever, but you can revalidate anytime in the 90 days before that anniversary - correct?

This is not the advice being given elsewhere.

Administrator

Is it not noted in your ratings page in your licence?

(I don't have an IR, but certainly these dates are noted there for my SEP class rating.)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Is it not noted in your ratings page in your licence?

You are right

Reval flight 23/11/2012
Valid till 31/1/2014

So it looks like the validity is extended to the last day of the month during which the initial IRT was done (my initial IRT was done 26/1/2012).

This is similar to the FAA system.

Administrator

With EASA, CAA changed the validity of each rating to the end of the month.

United Kingdom

With EASA, CAA changed the validity of each rating to the end of the month.

FOCA as well

LSZK, Switzerland

What you have to avoid is what I did with my medical this year. With the medical you can anticipate by up to 45 days. Unfortunately I confused the date of examination with the date of expiry, so while my re-examination was less than 45 days before the second anniversary of the last examination, it was more than 45 days before the date of expiry, and I lost a couple of months of validity.

So, in effect, the period during which one can do the "early revalidation" is not 90 days but 45 days - correct?

The medical has to be done too, by everybody...

Administrator
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message