“is advised that aerobatic manoeuvres will be conducted;”

Advised, did not ask permission. :-)

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Pirho wrote:

asked if the guy asked permission to do this and they said he did not

I’m referring to this passage….

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

during my MEP/IR (SEP/IR conversion) earlier this year, we practiced high speed approaches (180kts IAS) until 1mile final… We would do a Touch and go, accelerate to 180kts in the pattern, turn short final at 180kts and then chop the power in the Baron (I was surprised but it is like pulling he handbrake in a twin). 1 notch flaps, gear and a second later full flaps. be stabilised at 250ft at 95kts (final approach speed).
The instructors managed to do it at .7 .8 miles from the threshold. It’s pretty impressive flying if you’re not used to it.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I disliked UK Overhad Joins, but the few times I enjoy them were at Stapleford in T67M on late evenings, barrel roll & dive to crosswind, the slow roll in a Firefly is really slow

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Pilot_DAR wrote:

unless the appropriate unit that provides air traffic services is advised that aerobatic manoeuvres will be conducted

Maybe he did so?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Wow, magnificent flying in the Rafale!

Pirho wrote:

did a loop on very short final. I remember speaking to the tower controller over a few beers once and asked if the guy asked permission to do this and they said he did not – but they couldn’t find a rule that would preclude him from doing it.

The rule in Canada:

602.27 No person operating an aircraft shall conduct aerobatic manoeuvres

……… (e) in any class of airspace that requires radio contact with air traffic services unless the appropriate unit that provides air traffic services is advised that aerobatic manoeuvres will be conducted; orQuote
Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

When I was flying out in Portugal, there was a guy that flew an Extra and a Pitts and almost always did a loop on very short final. I remember speaking to the tower controller over a few beers once and asked if the guy asked permission to do this and they said he did not – but they couldn’t find a rule that would preclude him from doing it.

United Kingdom

Some do it this way

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

One factor to take into account in addition to Vlr and Vfe limitations is the risk assessment of flying an approach above Vo. The light twins used in flight calibration are attempting to replicate an airliners 160 knots but because they do not want to de stabilise the approach at 4D, they will fly the approach clean down to minima. The airliner on a coupled approach would slow to 110-130KIAS at 4D. The light twin may fly the approach at a higher speed than an airliner approach speed, whether for calibration reasons or to fit in with ATC, but this speed will be much higher than the Vo of these types (around 125 -140 KIAS depending on all up mass, lower if lighter). In smooth air operating above Vo may be an acceptable risk, but if there is turbulence or wind shear it is easy to get out of the design envelope.

It’s a tragedy that only with hindsight this question becomes relevant. Whether flying at Vo or below would have helped mitigate the upset, or the circumstances were overwhelming nevertheless, is difficult to judge.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks all. basically you have confirmed that I have an interesting challenge to deal with.
Geneva ATC are indeed very demanding and I have recently experienced two “Stuka style” arrivals from FL230-250 with ILS intercepts at very high airspeed and vertical speed..
Fortunately, the liquid cooled engine allows to chop power at will.

So here is what i have been doing lately. Given the STEC55X’s tendency to overshoot intercepts, I have degraded it to just a VS/HDG slave down the ILS.
Hand flying this is actually lots of fun, and with some practice it feels very safe to me.

1. Preset engine to the ILS parameters. 2300/26.5 so at least no need for tweaking this side.
2. Fly the ILS fast and clean (160 KIAS @ 800 fpm or 180 @ 1000 fpm)
3. Passing 4 miles, cut power, pull up to reduce speed (yes it overshoots but no ATC complaint)
4. At 140 KIAS, RPM to 2500 then gear down. Now the aircraft is in very high drag config and losing energy fast.
5. Dampen the Glideslope re-intercept using power, up to 28 inches. Takes some practice not to undershoot, but not that hard
6. As soon as stabilized and speed 120 one notch of flaps. This is like 1 mile out.
7. Finish approach.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland
44 Posts
Sign in to add your message