Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAS transit "application" by email (or web, or ICAO flight plan) - how crazy is this?

I read recently about emailing for transit across CAS. For the life of me I cannot find the (NATS I think) details about this. Would some kind soul please help me find it?
Thanks

UK, United Kingdom

Thank you, most helpful

UK, United Kingdom

There is also an AIC about it: Yellow 055/2018

Last Edited by Xtophe at 12 Jun 20:44
Nympsfield, United Kingdom

What is “London Area”?

It does sound bizzare, because ATC manage CAS tactically (using radar) and the email won’t give you a clearance, yet they are required to notify the CAA when and why they refused a clearance

Xtophe – that URL needs a Eurocontrol login.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It seems that “London Area” are those places with a “London” designation in the title and is not geographical. Why does it need a notification to access CAS when the controller will be able to see on his/her radar screen how traffic is when you call for a transit. If you call and get a response “remain clear of CAS” without the controller adding “I will call you back” is that a refusal? If he/she calls you back after say 15 minutes when they can see you have gone around is that how they might just get out of reporting a refusal? Any ATC people care to comment?

UK, United Kingdom

Fixed the link. That’s odd it works from the UK AIS website but not directly.

They claim it saves them the time to fill the (electronic) flight strip and hence speed up things.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Isn’t this what the first call on the radio is for?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Yes indeed. Unless you are CLEARED to enter the CAS, you are not cleared to do anything whatsoever. So I don’t understand what the email could possibly achieve – unless they are creating some means of getting CAS permits for drone flights etc where obviously the drone won’t be “on the radio”. This sort of “CAS PPR by email” thing is likely to scare the average UK PPL even more of going into CAS, but you still need to make the radio call.

If he/she calls you back after say 15 minutes when they can see you have gone around is that how they might just get out of reporting a refusal?

That’s an interesting perspective And it happens from time to time. To be fair, it happens when they are obviously busy, and a pilot needs a Plan B for any CAS crossing, ready to be executed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

It’s the same thing as with airport (landing) PPR at licensed aerodromes. It’s useless, since you will have to repeat most of the information on the radio anyways. So very few “radio savings” anyway.
Same goes for this thing.

Those who make these things out Counter this stating that it has to do with different qualification and paygrades of controllers and assistants etc., but it all doesn’t make sense in the end. As proves the rest of the world, where this PPR mania does not exist.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
93 Posts
Sign in to add your message