Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Closing VFR Flighplan in the UK

Peter wrote:

I did wonder why they didn’t phone me first. My number is always in the FP.

Peter,

Only fields thru 18 are transmitted in the FPL request. Field 19 data is generally on request only. So it depends where the phone number is placed. If it is included in the remarks, it is part of the FPL.

KUZA, United States

Airborne_Again wrote:

The UK does not provide alerting service for overdue aircraft so there is no point in closing flight plans. This is listed as a deviation from ICAO standards in AIP-UK.

Maybe this has been explained before, but how can a country officially decine such a safety requirement ?
I guess ICAO can’t give a fine to the UK but isn’t it some kind of legal responsibility issue ?
Is it also the case for IFR FPLs ?

LFOU, France

The UK does not provide alerting service for overdue aircraft so there is no point in closing flight plans. This is listed as a deviation from ICAO standards in AIP-UK.

It’s incredibly silly. There’s a dedicated D&D unit that seems to be a bit idle for most of the day, so un-closed and overdue flights plans may as well be routed there for further investigation.

That “D&D” unit spent over 2 hours between being notified, as per SOP, by a FISO that a Pa28 had disappeared, (20 minutes after crash) and notifying search and rescue unit, who located the wreckage in another 20 minutes.
Refer to May 2018 AAIB bulletin.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message