Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another "new" "toy" to fly for me... (Beech 33)

Still enjoying the choice of aircraft that my new “club” offers me…

Yesterday, I just renewed my EASA IR (including the dreaded PBN signoff) in the Cardinal RG N7774C.

And today, it was my time to try out the top aircraft of our lineup, N6664C, a 1964 Beech 33 Debonair:

I have previously flown a very similar Debonair through Arizona, but that was 7 years ago.

This one is currently VFR-only, with old avionics, but it will get a complete re-do (G5, GNS530W, GFC500) done in a few weeks.

Look at that ancient wing-leveller (it works, however!):

The nice thing about these Debonairs is that they have the IO-470K engine which can run on mogas. So, in Germany, this aircraft (12GPH) may cost no more (or even a tad less) per hour to fly than say the Cardinal RG. This whilst doing 150 knots true:

The six-cylinder engine of course is wonderful. There is no better sounding aircraft (with a flat engine) than the Bonanza/Debonair.

Also, very few look better.

Looking forward to some more Beech time soon…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Maybe you can try out Jan’s 35 some day

I loved the story how he got it and flew it home. What a great plane for what he wants to do with it.

How is the range of that one? I once almost bought a 35C but it only had the standard tanks and therefore a negligible range.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 16 Jun 15:07
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

boscomantico wrote:

Look at that ancient wing-leveller (it works, however!):

Of course it will work

Very nice and I hope you have loads of fun in it. Very capable piece of kit. Congrats on the IR renewal.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

Early Debonairs are in high demand in the US, among those who have looked at all the options. A couple I know just bought one much like this. It will supplement their pretty polished Swift, which doesn’t appreciate being left outside overnight on trips.

…Jan’s 35

sure. But I think there is a big difference, generation-wise, between the pre-1957 Beech 35s and the those mid-sixties Debonairs. Particularly regarding the engine. The IO-470 is bog standard and the same as in most aircraft built in the 70s and 80s. The E series Continentals however, with these pressure carburettors, the dry sump and those weird old Hartzell props are really ancient.

This one here has got the 80 gallon (74 usable) tanks. At 12 GPH and 150 knots you can figure out the range yourself. Useful load is also very good.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Jun 15:53

boscomantico wrote:

But I think there is a big difference, generation-wise, between the pre-1957 Beech 35s and the those mid-sixties Debonairs.

Definitly. As you say, particularly the engine. I had a rather close look at the C35 I was considering, it had a pretty good equipment and was in a lovely shape. But what put me off primarily was the 40 USG capacity that that one had, that is even less than the 52 USG I now have in the Mooney. The rest about the prop and engine is nicely described in Jan’s excellent article. His has about all the additional fuel tanks you can get, so range is definitly not an issue.

boscomantico wrote:

This one here has got the 80 gallon (74 usable) tanks. At 12 GPH and 150 knots you can figure out the range yourself. Useful load is also very good.

Lovely, so around 800 NM realistically, should do nicely.

Yes, Debonairs and Bonanzas are really lovely airplanes. I only flew as a pax in a Debonair once, but I got to fly a Travel Air which is really lovely and a Twin Bonanza which is a really interesting beast. I wish I had bought it when it came up for sale… but maybe it was a good idea not to after all…

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very nice ;) Airframe still can compete with modern designs.
I thought you are totally into the Cirrus SR22… :)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Didn’t read the somewhat romantic piece I wrote last year about the 1947 35 model, did ya?

Btw, this is the Debonair I flew in Arizona in 2011. At the time, it was part of the fleet of Chandler Air Service. This was also a C33 model, but IIRC, it had been upgraded to 260hp, which helps a lot in places like Payson and Sedona.

I did my IR there… Small world!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Congratulations! Mogas Debs are near the top of my list for an IFR touring plane.

Tököl LHTL
127 Posts
Sign in to add your message