Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Yet another "new" "toy" to fly for me... (Beech 33)

Looks great.

Out of interest, do the G5’s indicate TAS somewhere?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Beautiful, as always. Could you solve the CHT issues ? I had the take off fuel flow adjusted last year and it makes a huge difference. Baffles are important. I had the #2 and the #6 baffle kit installed, hottest cylinder now #4. Next baffle kit will be installed in a couple of weeks.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Out of interest, do the G5’s indicate TAS somewhere?

They do if you have recent software and an OAT probe.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

This was the third hour after engine overhaul, so it is to be expected to be running hot. Let‘s wait a few more hours. T/O fuel fuel has been jacked up. But running hot even im cruise. Baffles and baffle seals have been locked after. Somehow, I don‘t really trust the indications of the EDM830 probes. Otherwise very smooth and powerful.

The avionics are great. No TAS on this G5 version.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You do see higher CHTs even in cruise, with a “new” engine. Maybe 40F higher initially. They do drop down fairly rapidly though, over some hours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Of course, it’s hotter during break in. The airflow in the old Bonanzas is very sensitive to baffling. The air pressure differential between upper and lower side of the engine isn’t high.

Usually the left side is hotter. There are dedicated baffle kits by D’Shannon to fix the airflow. Kit #2 increases the gap between the aluminum wall and the cylinder; #6 adds airflow to cylinder #6 right behind the front cover which somehow blocks the air; you add those and the hottest will be #4. To fix that D’shannon offers a kit that installs hanging baffles which are installed in the wing of the cowling instead of on the engine mount. And you can buy louvres with extended venting slots. All the baffle kits are part of their turbo conversion but are very helpful also for normally aspirated engines. No STC as far as I know, and if yes, you can get an individual STC by EASA.

I know it because I went there, and got the t-shirt :) I also know guys who can install all of these things.

So, to wrap it up:
1 – takeoff fuel flow increase
2 – D‘shannon baffle kits.
3 – Gamijectors

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 16 Feb 10:37
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

You probably mean the LiquidAir baffles by GAMI, although D’Shannon also make baffle kits. I fly behind Liquidair in a A36TN and it really works, no cylinder work in almost 17 years except for the Superior AD due to age;

EBKT

Yes I mixed it up – I bought the TAT kits from Gami, Tim Roehl. Working very good

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Two guys just dug a Debonair out of a hangar near me that had been ‘resting’, never out of that same hangar since the early 1980s. Today was the first flight after a month of weekend work. It sounded a bit rough on the downwind… but they did make it once around. The run up was fine so now they have some more work to do.

It was the typical estate sale situation, there was a prosaic car in the hangar that hadn’t been registered since about 1980. The plane has only 1000 hrs total time, all original, so well worth the effort.

The louvers on the sides of the cowling make a lot of sense of you think about it. At high angles of attach the bottom of the cowling where the cooling normally exits must be at relatively high air pressure.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 03 Jul 20:38

Reasonable condition Debonairs, some with a -520 upgrade, now seem to trade below similar vintage Cessna 182 and obviously a fraction of a Skywagon.

Given the build quality (Debonairs I understand do not have the magnesium airframe parts of the V-tail ruddervator) which is a premium to Cessna, and the robust RG system, this seems an anomaly. Probably the Beech reflecting closer to fair value.

https://barnstormers.com/classified-1618423-beechcraft-Debonair.html?catid=16784

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message