Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another Italian question: why did Customs have to be called out at great expense on a Sunday when entering Italy from another Schengen state?

lol ;)

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Unfortunately you find ignorance everywhere. I once got into an argument with handling at Calvi because they maintained that I did not need immigration/customs for a flight to Tirana. That however did not cost me anything.

LFPT, LFPN

Peter wrote:

Reading the first post again, it is just possible that they were doing a VAT check but since they could not dig out anybody who could speak English, they make it look like something else in the hope they find something.

Nah, they didn’t do any VAT checks and there’s nothing more to the story:

1/ they did “Schengen” immigration checks on the Friday in Deauville
2/ they proceeded unmolested through France and then over-nighted Saturday in Cannes
3/ they filed a flight plan from Cannes to Siena, VFR, on the Sunday morning
4/ they landed in Siena and were told “we ’ave to call Customs because you are not Schengen”
5/ they paid €140 for the privilege – the bloke came out, looked at their passports and said “Ciao”…

They were effectively ripped off for an unnecessary (illegal?) check I think.

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Sure; many airports are PPR also. And the UK requires personal details of the occupants on the GAR form…

But my statement about flying to the “right sort of airport” is correct with respect to compliance with Customs and Immigration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

In international aviation, the requirement is dispensed with by landing at an airport which has Customs and/or Immigration (as appropriate). You do not have to make any kind of separate declaration.

That’s quite a generalisation, Peter, that doesn’t necessarily apply everywhere in Europe.

I recently was planning a flight from Perugia LIRZ to Brac LDSB, which is across a Schengen border, both with customs and immigration but Perugia is PPR. Delta Handling at Perugia requested GenDec and operator details for fueling & handling invoice IN ADVANCE. I gathered that to mean that they wouldn’t approve the PPR without. They also said they would charge a penalty of €230 plus 50% of handling fee if PPR were cancelled less than 6hr before ETA.

LSZK, Switzerland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

To explain it once more…

Switzerland is part of SCHENGEN, that means immigration. You can travel from any Schengen state to Switzerland without the need for IMMIGRATION control.

Switzerland is NOT part of the EU and therefore NOT in the CUSTOMS union. Therefore, every flight into and out of Switzerland needs CUSTOMS CLEARANCE.

All international airports in Switzerland (Geneva, Zürich, Bern, Grenchen, Samedan, Lugano, Sion, Basle, Altenrhein) offer those as a standard, the others offer it for flights within Schengen with PPR. It is not difficult but it needs to be done.

Thank you …… this is a very much clearer explanation

Aviathor wrote:

Now what does that mean? And what should be in field 18?

The number of people on board from Schengen and non-Schengen countries. I’ve read almost the same sentence in Danish AIP.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

quatrelle

To explain it once more…

Switzerland is part of SCHENGEN, that means immigration. You can travel from any Schengen state to Switzerland without the need for IMMIGRATION control.

Switzerland is NOT part of the EU and therefore NOT in the CUSTOMS union. Therefore, every flight into and out of Switzerland needs CUSTOMS CLEARANCE.

All international airports in Switzerland (Geneva, Zürich, Bern, Grenchen, Samedan, Lugano, Sion, Basle, Altenrhein) offer those as a standard, the others offer it for flights within Schengen with PPR. It is not difficult but it needs to be done.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Oristano is in Italy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

We’re a long way off topic now: this was about Italy ;)

Yeah baby!
EGTB
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message