Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Large prohibited areas in the UK July / August 2018

Just a heads-up.

http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/press18/EG_Circ_2018_M_049_en_2018-06-07.pdf

“Restricted” but these are prohibited in reality. On past record, big fines for busting these things – certainly for air displays.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To be exhaustive, you also need to consider the restriction for the F1 grand prix, the Farnborough Airshow and RIAT at Fairford. On Friday 13th there is another RAF100th anniversary big formation at Fairford (the 14th and 15th ones have been cancelled).
And a certain president is around and that would generate last minute RA

Conveniently I’m going sailing so don’t have to worry.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

These notams are a real bastard because they are published as coordinate lists in a PDF e.g.

so some poor bastard has to copy/paste these into whatever tablet based flight planning program they are producing and hope that they come out right. Most of them don’t bother… and the enclosing circle is so huge it is useless. Fortunately that PDF shows a map.

I have a flight on the 10th which, if Solent don’t clear me via SAM, will have to go through this little gap

while the rest of GA is squeezing through below the 2000ft CAS base N of the Isle of Wight

Administrator

We had a smaller version of this the other day. There was a fly past/practice Airshow which had a Notam that covered a huge chunk of the day.

Farnborough didn’t know when it was active I asked them if it was over (and about 5 others whilst I was on frequency also asked them). Due to having to keep below the London TMA at 2500 feet, all traffic was squeezed into a 200 ft chunk of Airspace in an already narrow corridor.

I had somebody on my Tail , same height following 1-2 Nm with my Power Flarm constantly bleeping at me for 5 minutes and whilst that was going on aircraft passed by the other way.

I think that was dangerous and totally avoidable as the Airshow (which I think was a practice) was almost certainly not happening. People should only be allowed to close things like this for the minimum possible time.

United Kingdom

That’s where SD gets handy :

LFOU, France

I wonder if they do that for every country and every object thus notamed?

There is no obvious automated process.

Administrator

I saw something similar in France for a restricted area above a tall ship show.
No idea if it is automated or not.

SD is definitely a bit more extensive in the UK than elsewhere, it is easily explained by their membership :)

LFOU, France

Peter wrote:

I wonder if they do that for every country and every object thus notamed?

There is no obvious automated process.

Would it not be relatively trivial to have a programme which drew a polygon and stuck it onto the chart based on coordinates provided in a list form?

EGLM & EGTN

Yes that is exactly the wheel which everyone has reinvented separately

The problem is there is no standard format and it needs to be done manually.

Obviously SD will do it for the UK watering hole runs.

It is a very unsatisfactory situation but as long as the legal obligations are discharged by the publication of the coordinates in a pdf, why should they change?

Administrator

Probably because in the CAA’s world:

Commercial pilots don’t worry about it as their ops department takes care of it.

Military pilots don’t worry about it because enlisted men and women take care of it.

Private pilots will plot the points and draw them on their paper charts, because that’s part of flying, that’s what we all do and no-one uses electronic navigation aids or sources of information.

EGLM & EGTN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message