Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for Airport Karlsruhe / Baden-Baden (EDSB)

I am planning a flight to EDSB next weekend and wanted to find out some information about it. There are a few things on their website but they seem to concern business aviation more than small planes. E.g. I was unable to find an email address for pilots, only the general one for the airport and the ones of the handling companies; no information if handling is mandatory; etc.

The questions I have at the moment are:

• Is some paperwork / calls / reports required for customs and/or immigration when coming from Switzerland (Schengen but not EU)?
  • Do I have to reserve in advance a parking space for an overnight stay on the weekend (Sat-Sun)?
  • Is handling mandatory?
  • Total costs for a PA34 (Piper Seneca II), MTOW 1999kg, including landing, parking, handling, etc.?
  • Do I have to order AVGAS in advance?

Of course any further information would be useful.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Check the AIP.

In short:
No, no, no, approx. 60€, of course not.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Well, I’m not really competent to answer here but anyway, I fly there quite often for training:

Is some paperwork / calls / reports required for customs and/or immigration when coming from Switzerland (Schengen but not EU)?

I don’t think so, but just call (+49 7229 662333). They speak English, but I think you even speak German?

Do I have to reserve in advance a parking space for an overnight stay on the weekend (Sat-Sun)?

No. But if you call anyway, you can ask.

Total costs for a PA34 (Piper Seneca II), MTOW 1999kg, including landing, parking, handling, etc.?

I don’t know, but it’s not really a cheap place. Our Mooney is 25€ for a landing.

Do I have to order AVGAS in advance?

No.

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

My five cents:

Very friendly and capable airfield. The GA apron is VERY far away from infrastructure, i.e. one mile from the touristy terminal. They have rental cars but again these are a long foot march away.. I would rather go to Lahr again where the App2drive scheme is right outside the GA exit. Strassbourg is very helpful in their sector..
I found the security at Baden airfield very relaxed and didn’t see anyone – everything was done by video phone.

EDLN and EDKB

Yes – it is a long walk to the terminal on a hot day with luggage :(

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Thank you all for the info.

boscomantico wrote:

Check the AIP.

I couldn’t find anything in the AIP concerning some of these questions. Example: There is nothing said about customs (except opening hours). Having the experience from France where you need to send crew and PAX information 24-48 hours in advance (requirement usually found on the airport website or known from previous visits/phone calls), is it safe to assume (at least for Germany) that if nothing is written in the AIP, it means nothing is required in advance? For EDSB the same applies e.g. for handling, where the AIP only says cargo-handling facilities are on request.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

The AIP should contain all requirements and if you comply with those, you can just fly there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Vladimir wrote:

Having the experience from France where you need to send crew and PAX information 24-48 hours in advance (requirement usually found on the airport website or known from previous visits/phone calls), is it safe to assume (at least for Germany) that if nothing is written in the AIP, it means nothing is required in advance?

This shows pretty much where the constant hassle almost everywhere has gotten us: Airports which DON’T make a hassle for things which should be normal at any airport we tend not to believe that something like this still exists…..

I also fondly remember the days when one could fly to lots of places just with a flightplan or not even that and customs was simply part of the infrastructure… Mengen, Avignon, Colmar and several others come to mind, where today it has become “normal” that you need to write to them requesting PPR, Slot, Passenger data (even intra Schengen) up to the birthday of the family cat’s grandfather…

Well it is not normal and therefore let’s enjoy those airports who actually do their job right and just are there for traffic, not to satisfy bureaucrats. EDSB seems to be one of those. Maybe we can start a thread about airports which still treat GA as customers, not suspects (of I don’t know what).

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

mrfacts wrote:

I would rather go to Lahr again where the App2drive scheme is right outside the GA exit
EDSB has App2Drive right at the GAT as well.

Vladimir wrote:

Is handling mandatory?
No, it is not. Although they have recently outsourced the GAT to a new operator, charging a modest 9€ for a <1,5t-SEP, you can still get in and out and use the restrooms without paying that fee. Only if you use their services (free drinks, pretzels, sofas, computers…), you have to pay.

Last Edited by tschnell at 10 Jul 16:40
Friedrichshafen EDNY

For the future generations (or at least visitors of this page ) here are the answers I received from the airport:

• Q: Is some paperwork / calls / reports required for customs and/or immigration when coming from Switzerland (Schengen but not EU)?
  • A: You don’t have to organize anything. After landing just report to customs and police, you can find the phone numbers in GAT.
  • Do I have to reserve in advance a parking space for an overnight stay on the weekend (Sat-Sun)?
  • No. After landing park the airplane at AP4 (GAT).
  • Q: Total costs for a PA34 (Piper Seneca II), MTOW 1999kg, including landing, parking, handling, etc.?
  • A: 74.63 EUR including VAT
  • Q: Do I have to order AVGAS in advance?
  • A: No. Just ask for the truck at the tower or in GAT.

Here is also the original text for the German speaking among us:

1. Muss etwas bezüglich Zoll oder Immigration im Voraus organisiert werden?
Im Vorfeld müssen Sie nichts organisieren. Melden Sie sich nach der Landung einfach bei Zoll und Bundespolizei, Telefonnummern finden Sie am GAT.

2. Muss einen Parkplatz für die Nacht 14.-15. Juli im Voraus reserviert werden?
Nein. Nach der Landung stellen Sie einfach Ihr Flugzeug auf AP4 (GAT) ab

3. Ist Handling obligatorisch?
Nein. Sollten Sie Handling wünschen, konsultieren Sie die Herren am GAT (Preise siehe Website): https://www.baden-charter.com/gat/

4. Was sind die Totalkosten (Anflug, Landung, 1 Passagier, Parking über Nacht, Handling wenn nötig, usw.) für einen PA34, MTOW 1999kg?
Entgelte für Landung, Parken,Passagier:
Summe Netto / net amount: 62,71 €
MwSt / VAT 19%: 11,92 €
Endbetrag / total amount: 74,63 €
Preise Handling siehe GAT

5. Muss AVGAS im Voraus bestellt werden?
Nein. Sie lassen einfach den Tankwagen per Tower oder GAT rufen.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message