Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alternate and diversion aerodrome - do you ask for PPR/PNR before getting airborne?

Seems a bit officious, I had to divert on a flight to Bilbao as I could not descend below cloud. Biarritz told me they were clear of cloud in places and gave me joining instructions. On landing I was told to be careful and follow directions from a marshal. They were in fact closed to VFR for taxiway improvements, but had plenty of parking space. I had to go round various barriers. They didn’t charge me for landing or parking overnight even though I did not declare an emergency.
Simon

A/G or FISO cannot issue instructions or clearances for anybody in the air (there is a separate discussion regarding the cases where in certain countries a FISO can manage an instrument approach ) but they can refuse a landing, on behalf of the landowner.

Obviously in a real emergency (a fuel emergency; not necessarily an engine failure) you would head for the runway and land anyway, while making radio calls for awareness.

The problem with that is the risk of something like this.

Also how many would land at a major airport like e.g. Gatwick EGKK? The result would be massively visible, massively provocative to the CAA, which would come under massive pressure to investigate and if at all possible prosecute for inadequate planning. It is hard though not impossible (late at night??) to imagine a fuel emergency scenario where that might be necessary. I know someone who did that, DA42, but he had a reason to believe he had an engine fire.

Is the German Flugleiter a FISO or A/G?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Do you call alternate and ask them for permission for a possible divert?
For the planned alternate in the flight plan, yes, if it is PPR I always do.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

In the US, ATC is not aware of if an alternate is filed or where it might be. In the event of a missed approach, the first question ATC has is “State intentions” because they don’t have a clue about any alternates. There is no obligation to use the filed alternate as the actual airport that one goes to in the event of a diversion. Pilots should be trained to consider the situation and do what is best and safest at the time a diversion is needed.

KUZA, United States

How are US flight plans distributed? I know they changed the format recently to the ICAO one but IIRC the new format is not mandatory. If they use the AFTN then the alternate is nominated in there and the alternate should get a copy of the FP.

Whether they do anything about it is another matter. In Europe, the alternate will probably just chuck it in the bin. They can’t really do anything with it…

Administrator

Is the German Flugleiter a FISO or A/G?

The distinction does not exist in Germany. Flugleiter is not a formal qualification. Typical minimum requirement is that they hold a R/T license for VFR (BZF I or II). Very recently (2016), some airfields which have a RMZ but are otherwise in airspace G have received the callsign AFIS instead of INFO like all other non-controlled airports. Their Flugleiter typically have a R/T license for IFR (AZF).

So as I understand it, a Flugleiter can be both AFIS or A/G.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Can we please clearly separate things according to law?

If you fly regular on a pre-filed FPL with an alternate you intend to use in case of diversion, you have to obey the rules of PPR/ PNR for each field enroute.

If you file AFIL as is regular since SERA, you have to ask ATC to get the PPR for you. Some countries FIS will be pissed, but it is their obligation now – my2cents.

If you have a precautionary issue, you make a safety landing and are not bound to any PPR regulation. When the issue is fixed you have to notice the field owner and they have no way to hinder your restart.

If you declare emergency, you go down no matter what. Once on the ground it is a good idea to call the relevant authorities on the issue and arrange under which circumstance the emergency is thought resolved and who is authorizing you to restart.

Last Edited by at 29 Jul 19:51

It may be helpful @dejwu if you edit your profile to show your country, because you will need a lot of luck to get ATC to do those things for you in most of Europe

Administrator

This debate does my head in a bit.

I looked into it a while ago and came to the conclusion (please someone correct me if I am wrong) that PNR is Prior Notification Required… in the sense of an email or fax with the details. For example to airports with restricted movements per annum or other restrictions on their operation. PPR Prior Permission Required, in the sense of “obtain permission before using the airfield” for example a radio call 10 minutes out. (Or if non radio, then a phone call before take off)

If I am flying and wish to land somewhere other than my original destination or alternate, and they refuse me landing or give me hassle, then I would just fly somewhere else as obviously the airfield doesn’t want my landing fee (For the record it hasn’t happened to me yet). If I’m at my alternate and they refuse landing due no PPR, then I think you ___could___ declare an emergency as you will need to find a new landing location and plan to fly there, which uses time and you could be using fuel reserves. Legally VFR you only need fuel to destination + 30 minutes. (Obviously it’s prudent to carry at least Destination, landing attempt, fly to alternate, + 30 minutes)

EDHS, Germany

Peter wrote:

How are US flight plans distributed? I know they changed the format recently to the ICAO one but IIRC the new format is not mandatory. If they use the AFTN then the alternate is nominated in there and the alternate should get a copy of the FP.

The AFTN routing is much simpler in the US. For IFR, only the center (FIR) that the flightplan originates in is addressed. Center handles any additional distribution as needed. If ICAO format is used, a filed alternate is available in the AFTN message, but as I understand it, it is still not communicated to ATC. If domestic format is used, the alternate is not part of the message.

We are taught that the FAA requirement is primarily a fuel planning requirement and the pilot is in no way bound to use it. Too many sad stories of pilots over flying VFR airports while continuing flight towards destination when destination and filed alternate are going below minimums and subsequently running out of options and gas. It is a self inflicted tragedy.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message