Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alternate and diversion aerodrome - do you ask for PPR/PNR before getting airborne?

Ibra wrote:

will get you off the hook

But if you’re very unlucky you may be refused permission to take off for a long time and be threatened to ship it out by road. It took him three weeks before he could fly it out again:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-34087663

Last Edited by James_Chan at 09 May 16:33

@Ibra
I think this is a case where naming the bastard would be appropriate. What you describe is outrageous, unless he was simply unaware of the circumstances and mayday.

Tököl LHTL

Yes; the famous Plymouth case. But most feel there was more to that one… some official getting p1ssed off and letting everybody know he is in charge, at least.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I think this is a case where naming the bastard would be appropriate. What you describe is outrageous, unless he was simply unaware of the circumstances and mayday.

I presume he was aware (ATC called him), I don’t think the guy did something wrong per say (nor I did) so naming/shaming is not helpful in the overall scheme of things
I was just expecting some level of consciousness/understanding from another GA pilot/instructor, after all unless he flies drones he would or will be in a similar situation?

James_Chan wrote:

But if you’re very unlucky you may be refused permission to take off for a long time and be threatened to ship it out by road.

That would have been worse in terms of comfort/convenience, I big wall in front the an aircraft is expected from a real estate company
On luck, I am more lucky 1/ to be alive and 2/ was flying solo

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Do members here apply for PPR and/or give required regulatory notices for all their flight plan alternates?
There seem to be more and more requirements for ever-longer notice periods. I was thinking of using Bournemouth as a weather alternate but the AIP says “Aircraft without a PPR number will not be permitted to land.”
Giving notice may well be interpreted by the recipient as meaning that you will be expected to land.

Bluebeard
EIKH, Ireland

I don’t know whether we should or not, but honestly I do not.

I might do so if I thought there was a much higher than usual chance of having to divert, eg. I knew I would be running really close to intended destination closing time or something.

If I have to divert because of weather etc I will go where is most appropriate (regardless of what is filed/PPR’d) and sort the rest out afterwards.

United Kingdom

Bluebeard wrote:

Do members here apply for PPR and/or give required regulatory notices for all their flight plan alternates?

No – as I don’t intend to fly to alternates I do not ask for PPR.

Germany

On an IFR flight plan the alternate is notified, and in effect that acts as a PPR. Plenty of airports pre ‘Rona, had slots but that did not stop using them as an alternate.

In the case of EGHH Bournemouth perhaps give ATC a call to confirm that in the case of nominating them as an alternate, PPR is not required.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

as I don’t intend to fly to alternates I do not ask for PPR.

RobertL18C wrote:

On an IFR flight plan the alternate is notified, and in effect that acts as a PPR. Plenty of airports pre ‘Rona, had slots but that did not stop using them as an alternate.

I don’t agree with that reasoning. PPR is not PNR. There are any number of reasons why an airport is PPR, e.g. that the runways are frequently used for other activities.

Of course in a genuine emergency you can land anywhere you want, but a diversion to a filed alternate is not a genuine emergency.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

I don’t agree with that reasoning

So how do you handle it? Very practically: What do you do if you ask your “designated alternate” for PPR but they don’t grant it. Would you then replan your flight with another alternate (up to a point where you cancel the flight because no other alternate is in reasonable fuel range) of fly anyways and declare fuel emergency?

Easy answer would obviously be that for many NCO flights there is no legal mandate for filing an alternate anyways. So one just could leave it out. But is it really better to not mention it rather than mentioning it w/o PPR?

I actually file EDDF very frequently as an alternate for my flight plans to EDFE and would never have come to the idea that I have to get PPR or a slot in EDDF for that – and don’t know any pilot in EDFE who actually does.

Germany
Sign in to add your message