Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying an EU/EASA plane out of the EU (with your license not matching the aircraft reg)

I’ve become aware of Commission Regulation 2018/1065 (…) as regards the automatic validation of Union flight crew licences (…) [ local copy ]

It adds the requirement, when we fly an EU registered plane from another member state than the one of our licence outside of the Union, to carry “the latest issue of the ICAO attachment, which includes a reference to the ICAO registration number of the agreement that recognises the automatic validation of licences, as well as the list of States which are party to this agreement”. Basically a document from EASA [ local copy ] telling a foreign ramp-checker that all EU states automatically validate all other EU state licences.

What struck me is that the non-EU EASA states (Norway, Switzerland, …) are not listed!

ELLX

Thanks good to know!

always learning
LO__, Austria

lionel wrote:

What struck me is that the non-EU EASA states (Norway, Switzerland, …) are not listed!

Maybe because Norway and Switzerland don’t ? It is not clear to me what this actually means. What’s the difference of validate as opposed to automatically validate ?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

This is a similar thing to the old UK CAA automatic validation of any ICAO PPL or CPL for flying a G-reg, worldwide, noncommercial VFR, and a similar automatic validation of any ICAO IR for flying a G-reg, worldwide, noncommercial IFR, but only OCAS (mostly useless for an IR).

That ran for decades and was terminated by Brussels c. 2012. It is still in place for uncertified G-regs (e.g. RVs etc). Various previous threads here…

Pilots taking advantage of it were advised to carry the page from the ANO in the plane, because the CAA never issued an explicit validation to you personally.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Seriously, the word automatically in this context, is this the same as implicitly ? If not, what is the difference?

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What’s the difference of validate as opposed to automatically validate ?

“Automatically validate” means that no communication with the validating authority is necessary. Usually, you have to request validation.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

OK. That’s pretty far from the normal definition of “automatic”. IMO an “automatic” validation would mean that some communication is necessary, but it happens “automatically” (whatever way that is supposed to work, but it’s not hard to imagine today when everybody are online). Automation requires a procedure or something being automated, it’s not a static result of something. The wordings in that ramp document is very confusing IMO.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Has anyone ever actually run into this problem (ie flying an EASA aircraft registered in a different member state than that of their EASA pilot licence outside EASA-land)? And if so, how did you deal with it?

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 18 Aug 18:58
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

I have never heard of this problem. Obviously that doesn’t mean it has not happened, but it is rare if it has. When you look at the scope of “EASA land” it is most of Europe as far as a reasonable level of GA travel goes. Let’s face it, most GA pilots don’t travel very far. In Europe you would have to be flying a long way to the east to get this issue. And once you start probing the edges you get less and less competent airport officials…

There are much more visible fish to fry which anybody informed on aviation will know about e.g.

• Types which cannot possibly be allowed to fly IFR but arrived on an IFR flight plan
  • EASA FCL, the derogations, and N-reg (nobody will want to touch that hot potato – do you fancy producing a briefing pack for a policeman??)
  • Flying without mandatory equipment carriage compliance (SR22 with no ADF/DME etc)
  • Flying non-CofA without permits

The only evidence I have ever heard of has been that the German LBA has hit some popular UL and homebuilt events and was checking permits. In the bizjet sphere there have been hits on the alleged mis-use of the FAA “SIC” (second in command) rating and those were most likely where a competitor alerted the CAA to it.

Obviously it is a great idea to have one’s paperwork straight. In my plane I keep copies of all kinds of weird stuff like a letter from a head of French police confirming cabotage will not be applied to private GA flights (discussed elsewhere here).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

AnthonyQ wrote:

Has anyone ever actually run into this problem (ie flying an EASA aircraft registered in a different member state than that of their EASA pilot licence outside EASA-land)?

I have done so several times, to Morocco. EC-reg with a UK issued license and a EU (non-UK) pilot. I have never heard of the ‘problem’ nor did I ever have an issue wrt license / registration.

36 Posts
Sign in to add your message