Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying an EU/EASA plane out of the EU (with your license not matching the aircraft reg)

LeSving wrote:

As for the other states, the AIP is behind a password/pay wall (which is even more insane).

If you’re talking about EAD, it does not have a paywall. It does require password (yes, insane) but registration is simple and free of charge.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“As for the other states, the AIP is behind a password/pay wall.”
I had to give my PPL number to get full access to the UK AIP, (Notams), and any access to the UK Aviation Met. Both require a password.
Would any EASA countries, whose AIP required a password for all access, give you a password if you had an EASA Licence number? With an application page somewhere on their site.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Would any EASA countries, whose AIP required a password for all access, give you a password if you had an EASA Licence number? With an application page somewhere on their site.

I recommend EAD. It has all EASA AIPs and then some. Registration required. Zero cost.

Doesn’t EAD kill your password regularly, forcing you to create a new one? I have just tried to login and it doesn’t work anymore.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Not anymore with the new login system…at least I haven’t had to reset my password since the switch more than a year ago.

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom

I have changed the thread title to add “(with your license not matching the aircraft reg)” because if your country of license issue does match the country of aircraft reg, you get the worldwide ICAO privileges anyway, and EASA (or any other mutual validation scheme) is irrelevant.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

As discussed previously in various “what happens after brexit” threads, they have ICAO papers and can fly a G-reg worldwide.

Yes, for G-reg that’s clear. However, I wonder what happens to pilots (of which there are many, not only in GA!) who fly non-G-reg airplanes on UK-issued licenses. The time to reach agreements is pretty short. Personally I think the EU / EASA will continue to accept them, as otherwise a good part of the CAT and bizjet scene would be thrown into total chaos. Then again…..

Peter wrote:

Doesn’t EAD kill your password regularly, forcing you to create a new one? I have just tried to login and it doesn’t work anymore.

It doesn’t “kill” the password in the sense that you can’t log in, but it does force you to change it occasionally.

But they changed their whole system a while ago, forcing you to re-register.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Aug 05:52

However, I wonder what happens to pilots (of which there are many, not only in GA!) who fly non-G-reg airplanes on UK-issued licenses.

The general brexit / EASA / CAA thread is here.

It doesn’t “kill” the password in the sense that you can’t log in, but it does force you to change it occasionally.

Ys; this ridiculous pretence that the AIP should be as secure as online banking is a waste of time because, I have found, every time I tried to login, the last password had been trashed. This makes it almost useless to anyone who might use the AIP when travelling because you never know when the login will stop working. Nowadays I use google (“AIP LFBP”) to find the airport AIPs… One can also get airport AIPs via the Autorouter telegram interface although I never quite worked out how to do that. Anyway this is digressing.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

This makes it almost useless to anyone who might use the AIP when travelling because you never know when the login will stop working.

That’s odd. I’ve used EAD occasionally (perhaps once a month) for four years or so now. I’ve never been unable to log in, but — as I said — occasionally I’ve been forced to change my password. Could it be that EAD will remove your registration if you haven’t used it for a long time?

Sign in to add your message