Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Irish Sea Crossing IFR

I’m planning an IFR trip from the U.K. to Ireland In a couple of weeks

I have an IFR route at FL100 that validates and the Irish Sea crossing consists of

GUNTU DCT UNDUX DCT OGTUG DCT BAGSO

MY question is… the leg between UNDUX DCT OGTUG take me outside CAS.

How can I expect Scottish control to handle this portion of the flight? Should I expect a basic service outside CAS while remaining on frequency followed by a handover to Dublin?

My worry is they will drop me when I leave CAS at UNDUX and expect me to free call Dublin which isn’t the end of the world but i prefer to be kept IFR throughout the flight.

Any thoughts would be great !

I haven’t plotted the route (no quick way to do this especially as there are no departure/destination airports given – posting a picture is better) but in general Scottish will pick up an IFR clearance even after you have spent a bit of time in Class G. London Control generally won’t, however.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The main trick here is to stay with Scottish control R/T (i.e. stay in the cas system r/t wise) and take whatever service they can offer, at least traffic, pref deconfliction.
They should then coordinate your re-entry into CAS. Ask nicely if necessary :-)

Last Edited by PeteD at 25 Sep 09:18
EGNS, Other

The route is into Weston… ZZZZ N0125F100 HALIF/N0125F100 IFR DCT ROSUN DCT GUNTU DCT BABRA DCT BAGSO/N0118F030 DCT WST EIWT

But I think I think you’ve answered my question. Just be nice to Scottish and ask :)

4 Posts
Sign in to add your message