Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

No more Jeppesen VFR/GPS paper charts?

I just stumbled across this on another forum. Seems like Jeppesen is phasing out their paper charts in order to promote their digital product, Mobile FlightDeck VFR. A pilot who enquired about the 2013 version of the UK charts was informed by Jepp that there will not be any.

Wow...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Interesting. Indeed, the UK charts are still not available. Their Mobile FlightDeck VFR only covers a few countries. I don't use their paper charts but buy a DVD with all their VFR charts.

On the other hand, I don't think it would be a major problem if Jeppesen stopped making VFR charts. I am very happy with SkyDemon, it has everything one needs for VFR and it gets its information from Eurocontrol/AIPs.

A pilot who enquired about the 2013 version of the UK charts was informed by Jepp that there will not be any.

Might be so, but I have personally seen the 2013 Raster Charts product which is a DVD with the same charts in an electronic format. UK is in them.

The only catch is how to view or run them... there is one official solution: Flitestar for viewing/printing them, or the theoretically discontinued Flitemap for viewing/printing or running them as a GPS moving map. There are some unofficial solutions for GPS moving map uses.

Who in Jepp said this? Frankfurt?

Skydemon is big in the UK but I wonder how many pilots elsewhere in Europe are running and thus testing the database? At least the Jepp VFR charts were the only practical game in town for much of Europe.

The UK has its own good VFR charts, same for France and same for Germany, and I doubt many pilots in these 3 places fly with anything else, and that is perhaps 90% of European GA. A new electronic app will be essentially untested in southern Europe.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Probably a bit of topic. Skydemon is also used by many pilots in the Netherlands. Dutch, Belgium and German charts are correct (as far as I can judge). Vfr Charts in NL and BE AIP are freely available through skydemon. Unfortunately you have to pay for VCR charts in the German AIP (shame on you DFS... ;-) ). I still use the jeppesen charts for Germany through the clubs license.

jkv
EHEH

If that's indeed the case, then they'd better get going PDQ in extending the coverage of Mobile FlightDeck VFR. I did a quick trial of that on the recent trip with Jason and wasn't overly impressed. Nowhere near ForeFlight or similar US products.

I have personally seen the 2013 Raster Charts product which is a DVD with the same charts in an electronic format. UK is in them.

That DVD (which I bought) contains the 2012 charts for the UK. They promised me a free update once additional charts become available. I am going to ask them for 2013 UK charts...

Skydemon is big in the UK but I wonder how many pilots elsewhere in Europe are running and thus testing the database?

Unfortunately there are 20 iPad apps for 30 pilots in Europe, no clear winner. SkyDemon is getting more and more traction in Germany. I think it is by far the best app out there. I never like Air Navigation Pro, I consider it to be ugly and unintuitive. SkyDemon take the airspace layout from the Eurocontrol database, this should be correct. I have yet to find an error in their database.

I tried the Jeppeson VFR charts once, and found they missed out a lot of small airfields - simply not charted at all, I ended up having to draw them in! So I went back to the CAA ones.

Andreas IOM

SkyDemon take the airspace layout from the Eurocontrol database

Which Eurocontrol database? EAD?

Too bad most Swiss CTR's aren't in EAD...

LSZK, Switzerland

I think they parse the AIPs which should contain everything. That's of course a very stupid job and requires manual oversight.

I used Jepp VFR charts a lot as the style is the same for each country. If you have to get used to 4 different maps on a 3hr trip you make more mistakes reading charts. The colour concept is good, everything red you need a clearance....

United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message