Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bouncy/Porpoise Landings

Does anyone know why it’s called a porpoise landing or porpoising? Dolphins are more widely known.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Capitaine wrote:

Does anyone know why it’s called a porpoise landing or porpoising? Dolphins are more widely known.

’Cause errantly flown flying boats are notorious for setting up a “porpoise” on landing if not held in the correct attitude when contacting the water, or hitting swells. Probably in long ago flying history a flying boat captain applied the term to landplanes as well.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Fly310 wrote:

Why learn to fly in at a much higher speed than normal? That is called an unstabilized approach and should always be followed by a go-around

Well I was exposed to such practice as well during lessons along with different variations of flap settings. However in the exam the usual landing without flaps was checked…which was accomplished by flying with slightly higher speed and doing a touch down much further afield.

Pilot_DAR wrote:

It’s true that pax may not like being slipped, so yes, consider that. But that is not an excuse for a pilot to not be proficient at it, practice with no, or understanding pax.

I have found this aspect the most difficult thing after cross-field landings. In fact most of the times I tried, I ended up doing a go around. Will have to try it with different instructors I suppose.

Germany

Cobalt wrote:

Does being so fast really help?

Quick back of the envelope calculation for a runway that has a mile after the touchdown point, wherever you choose to put it:

It depends on the runway and the turnoff. That assumes that a fast approach is going to miss a taxiway, often that is not the case.

I fly into EGNS quite a lot, and when using 26, I’ll keep my speed up and do a flapless wheel landing (the touchdown speed can be considerably higher in a wheel landing vs 3 point), timing it such that I’ll be able to turn off on taxiway F (to go to area M). If I’m using 21 though, I’ll be doing about 45 mph on final so I can turn off on taxiway E to go to area M. Both approaches keep down the time I’m occupying final and the runway (on 21 there won’t be an airliner following me) and at the same time giving me the shortest taxi route.

Andreas IOM

acquilinus wrote:

Well I was exposed to such practice as well during lessons along with different variations of flap settings. However in the exam the usual landing without flaps was checked…which was accomplished by flying with slightly higher speed and doing a touch down much further afield.

Ok, maybe it is a thing in Germany to practice fast approaches. We should not mix it up with flapless landings, then it is of course completely normal to have a slightly higher approach and touch down speed, usually around 5 knots or so for the regulars.

ESSZ, Sweden
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message