Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Bouncy/Porpoise Landings

MedEwok wrote:

Touchdown at 70-80 kts

Ground speed or on the ASI?

I guess there is a difference between 1/ arriving at higher speed then bleeding it all completely off before touchdown versus 2/ touchdown at higher GS airspeed

You do the first one, if you enjoy a quick landing with low power on long runways (length of the runway is included in the landing fee ), especially when you have 20kts of head-winds

However, I really don’t see the point doing the later unless you are forced by other factors (e.g. too much cross-wind/gusts on narrow runway, tail-wheeler if you can’t judge 3 points or like to see ahead…), but even for those reasons you will probably need to think twice if your GS is higher?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Keeping the speed up to fit in with commercial traffic. The ASI on left of panel is in kts, and the manual recommended approach speed is 62kts. The airbrakes are deployed as soon as the speed drops below 81kts, after crossing the threshold. The stall warner sounds after the mainwheel touchdown. Jodel DR1050 landing at Inverness EGPE.

Last Edited by Maoraigh at 11 Oct 21:39
Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Keeping the speed up to fit in with commercial traffic. The ASI on left of panel is in kts, and the manual recommended approach speed is 62kts. The airbrakes are deployed as soon as the speed drops below 81kts, after crossing the threshold. The stall warner sounds after the mainwheel touchdown. Jodel DR1050 landing at Inverness EGPE.

Can’t read ASI in video but you are VERY accomodating to commercial traffic. I certainly wouldnt extend speedbrakes at 50ft to dump speed through the flare for them. How fast are you before you extend them?

Not a criticism of the flying BTW, you are just far more polite than I would be.

Last Edited by JasonC at 11 Oct 22:03
EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

one needs to learn to flare the plane and hold it there until it settles down onto the runway. Then if you have excess speed, you just use up more runway. Most of the time this doesn’t matter because most runways are plenty long enough.

This.

Do not allow a tricycle plane to settle on to the runway, until it has slowed to a speed where you can hold the nose wheel well off the runway as you touch, and for a bit thereafter. If there is a bounce with the nose held up, it’ll be small, and by holding the attitude, you can ride it out. Do not lower the nose at that point, unless you’ve added full go around power, and are going around. With the nose well up, the plane will stall, hopefully about an inch above the runway. A stalled wing will not carry the aircraft back into the air, so no bounce. Fly the main wheels to a foot or so above the runway, keep the plane aligned, and then try to prevent the aircraft from settling on, without allowing it to climb at all. If the stall warning horn peeps as you touch, you did it very well, and did not bounce.

If the runway is not long enough, go around, and probably go somewhere else with a longer runway.

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

JasonC wrote:

Can’t read ASI in video but you are VERY accomodating to commercial traffic.

I can’t read the unit on the ASI, but the speed was 90 something over the threshold and 40 something at touchdown.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Maoraigh wrote:

Keeping the speed up to fit in with commercial traffic.

Yes, that is sometimes necessary but never until the threshold. If you keep your speed up until 2-3 miles that should be fine and you will have time to reduce your speed before reaching the threshold. I agree with @JasonC that keeping it until the threshold is too accommodating and should never be required, if so the ATC has done a poor job with separation. Many experienced pilots will of course be able to pull this off but I still think it is bad practice.

ESSZ, Sweden

Sure one would teach an ab initio PPL student to always go around if things don’t look right, etc. They are struggling to handle the plane at the most basic level, and one has to simplify it to the absolute bare basics. But after that? Developing new tools for the toolbox is a good thing, and sometimes one ends up going a bit too fast but the runway is big, so why go around? A go around has hazards too.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

sometimes one ends up going a bit too fast but the runway is big

Not just “sometimes”, there is a causality link: if you have been used to landing in small runways you will tend to arrive at the right speed but very high on big ones, then as you notice it, you will cut power push the nose and you may end-up very fast (I doubt anyone will go around because he is 300ft high over the numbers of a long runway, why do so when “perspective still look perfect”?), so I agree one needs something in the tool-box or just plan for it to happen (and it will happen, for anyone not convinced, just try remembering those landings after going from farm-strip to a big airport where you have been pushed into fast traffic queue by ATC while flying a new faster touring aircraft than the one you usually fly…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Oct 08:39
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Keeping the speed up to fit in with commercial traffic

Is this ‘expedite’ in ATC talk? I’ve had to do a few cruise-speed downwinds, but wouldn’t want to do it any later… unless you have airbrakes Preferable to spending 5 minutes orbiting.

Fly310 wrote:

Why learn to fly in at a much higher speed than normal?

With electric flaps on the Aquila it allows the instructor to pull out the circuit breaker – a flapless landing would definitely be at a higher speed.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Maoraigh wrote:

Keeping the speed up to fit in with commercial traffic.

Very considerate but I’m sure ATC don’t expect you to be so fast so late in the approach. Even at big airports like Gatwick they require speed control, usually 180 until 4 DME, but after that the speed is your own. Having said that there aren’t many Jodels or Cubs landing at Gatwick.

I’m sure they appreciate it but you are more polite than me!

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message