Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

NCYankee wrote:

They are simply not up to industrial standards to be used continuously for an application such as traffic awareness or primary navigation.

They are often fine to be used constantly but I agree not up to primary device standards. I am merely pointing out that mine works well and while it has overheated, this is very unusual.

EGTK Oxford

For VFR navigation and VFR traffic awareness, they are just fine for continuous use (at least the recent ones). I’ve used mine both in the heat of Texas (for some 6hr+ trips) and in the rather cooler conditions here, and not run into any problems.

Andreas IOM

I find it hard to agree with these ‘heads down in the cockpit’ views. I think a quick glance at an iPad running SD or Foreflight is a far more efficient process than poring over a traditional map or even fixating on some object on the ground trying to identify it. One example is flying to the VFR waypoints common at continental airports, which are not present in the 430 and on some maps. A quick glance at iPad confirms the correct heading and allows these sometimes elusive features to be found every time, without fail.

Everyone’s different, of course, but I’m not aware of any ‘head down’ consequences of having iPad available continuously. Quite the reverse – the vastly improved situational awareness allows much more time for scanning for traffic and, of course, flying the aeroplane. Just my opinion…

I already commented on some of the ways ipad can trip you up. But so can paper maps. I took off recently with all the sectionals required for a long VFR routing neatly arranged in a stack, only to discover one of them inexplicably missing!! So even a paper map can erase itself, given time! But I had 2x ipad, a KLN-94 and flight following so very much a non-event.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

Aveling wrote:

Everyone’s different, of course, but I’m not aware of any ‘head down’ consequences of having iPad available continuously. Quite the reverse – the vastly improved situational awareness allows much more time for scanning for traffic and, of course, flying the aeroplane. Just my opinion…

yes, i agree with that.

the problem is, this requires the user to be proficient in the use of the devices, and this is often not the case. i have seen many older pilots get lost in menus, hover for many seconds with the finger over some unexpected dialog, not knowing how to get back to the previous screen, etc. and this was on the ground, not in the cockpit.

all i’m saying is: it requires initial training and regular use to build experience, like any other device (e.g. a paper map) in the cockpit.

LFSB

I too agree that the use of GPS etc does not increase the head-down time but instead has the potential to greatly decrease it.

hover for many seconds with the finger over some unexpected dialog, not knowing how to get back to the previous screen, etc. and this was on the ground, not in the cockpit.

I would not use any app while flying unless the touch screen could be disabled. There is way too much potential for accidental touches. On my Lenovo I spent a lot of time working out how to do his (posted the details in the IT section) so, normally, only the touch pen works. On devices which have only a capacitive screen (Ipads etc) one has to find some other way but – on IOS – unless the app itself supports this, it cannot be done without a jailbreak. For example JeppTC doesn’t support it but JeppFD does.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I would not use any app while flying unless the touch screen could be disabled.

ForeFlight let’s you do this in the ‘document’ and ‘plate view’ screens which is where it would be most annoying / dangerous.

Solaris wrote:

the problem is, this requires the user to be proficient in the use of the devices, and this is often not the case. i have seen many older pilots get lost in menus, hover for many seconds with the finger over some unexpected dialog, not knowing how to get back to the previous screen, etc. and this was on the ground, not in the cockpit.

This is why you have to train and become familiar with all these devices, and that includes installed equipment. A great way of doing this (at least for ForeFlight, don’t know about SD) is to run it in conjunction with X-Plane. That way you can experiment to your heart’s delight – and hit ‘Pause’ if you get lost

Peter wrote:

I would not use any app while flying unless the touch screen could be disabled.

I can’t see many situation where I would be so reliant on an iPad that a touch would kill me. This seems a somewhat extreme statement. Can you explain when a touch would really matter Peter?

EGTK Oxford

i have seen many older pilots get lost in menus, hover for many seconds with the finger over some unexpected dialog, not knowing how to get back to the previous screen, etc. and this was on the ground, not in the cockpit.

Clearly this can only happen with old pilots.

all I’m saying is it requires initial training and regular use

Unless you are a young pilot when it is not necessary.

Egnm, United Kingdom

flybymike wrote:

i have seen many older pilots get lost in menus, hover for many seconds with the finger over some unexpected dialog, not knowing how to get back to the previous screen, etc. and this was on the ground, not in the cockpit.

Clearly this can only happen with old pilots.

I have seen plenty of young pilots get lost with paper charts. Old pilots too for that matter.

Last Edited by JasonC at 22 Sep 23:26
EGTK Oxford
Sign in to add your message