Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

@Peter For example JeppTC doesn’t support it but JeppFD does.

But then TC has been superceded by FD

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I can’t see many situation where I would be so reliant on an iPad that a touch would kill me. This seems a somewhat extreme statement. Can you explain when a touch would really matter Peter?

When did I say a touch will kill you?

It just has the potential to make the device useless, probably right when you need it most.

Coming in to land when your approach charts are on an Ipad, and the Ipad has shut down, is a pretty dire situation. Of course it won’t kill you but it’s going to make you look a right dick with ATC and everybody else on the frequency.

FWIW, I have flown with a number of users of SD and my recollection is that nearly all of them didn’t know how to use it, beyond the very superficial (just running the moving map). Of course one could argue that’s fine, but it does create the potential for the “Airbus joke” (what the f- is it doing now?) This is normal in IT – we all have programs on PCs of which we use only 1% of the features and we fumble around for ages when trying to do something unusual (MS Orifice, anyone?) but on a PC it doesn’t matter because you have time to play.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
but it’s going to make you look a right dick with ATC and everybody else on the frequency.

Isn’t that ops normal?

Seriously: I – and many, many others – know damn well how to use ForeFlight (no idea about SD) and get the most out of it. It does have its foibles (in fact, my instructor covered a couple during my recent BFR), but I guess your experience has a lot to do with the UK GA scene.

Peter wrote:

It just has the potential to make the device useless, probably right when you need it most.

Sorry, ForeFlight again – as I wrote earlier, you can disable the screen in plates view. No fat fingers….

The conclusion is these apps are good, but the device itself is nowhere good enough. There are other devices that are perfect for the job. Just saying.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

The conclusion is these apps are good, but the device itself is nowhere good enough. There are other devices that are perfect for the job. Just saying.

I disagree. Any device is as good or bad as the operator. If you put an iPad on the dash in bright sunlight, it’ll overheat. If you increase the angle of your airplane far enough, it will stall. Learn to operate the equipment you use.

There are other devices that are perfect for the job

Which ones?

If you put an iPad on the dash in bright sunlight, it’ll overheat. If you increase the angle of your airplane far enough, it will stall. Learn to operate the equipment you use.

I don’t agree; stalling is not normal but having sunlight in the cockpit is

In addition, there are various tablets which will not charge if they are running if also the charging voltage is below some figure. For example the Lenovo won’t charge from 5.00V; it needs 5.25V to charge reliably under all conditions (and the Lenovo power unit is 5.25V). So you get marginal situations which give rise to the market for extra thick USB cables (e.g. Volutz) which have a low voltage drop. It is designers’ negligence to fail to make these devices charge reliably from the USB voltage spec (4.75 to 5.25V) but fashion (charging currents of 2A or even more) has overtaken them. The bottom line is that you can find yourself on a flight at the end of which the battery is flat because it has not been charging.

Administrator

Coming in to land when your approach charts are on an Ipad, and the Ipad has shut down, is a pretty dire situation. Of course it won’t kill you but it’s going to make you look a right dick with ATC and everybody else on the frequency.

I agree that if you are coming in IMC with only your I pad to give you the approach it could be a problem. But I assume it is also on the panel mount GPS and you have some other backup.

EGTK Oxford

And even if you were to go around in that highly unlikely situation? No big deal really.

If you fly hard IMC it’s unlikely the iPad will shut down because of overheating on approach… as to charging, if you set off for a long flight without having verified the iPad either holds charge or actually increases charge… one can’t really blame the iPad or the charger designers there!!

if you are coming in IMC with only your I pad to give you the approach it could be a problem

A “problem”? Jesus….

But I assume it is also on the panel mount GPS and you have some other backup.

Only if you are one of GA’s big spenders. 5 figures on the panel mounted eye candy and 4 figures a year to Jepp. Very few people have that, as a % of IFR GA.

And a large % (probably most, IME) of those who buy a plane which comes with the first year’s Jepp subscription abandon the subscription at the renewal time, when they get the invoice for the renewal

And even if you were to go around in that highly unlikely situation? No big deal really.

No, no big deal, just ditch it and walk away. No problem at all

Going around isn’t going to magically restore the Ipad to working condition.

If you fly hard IMC it’s unlikely the iPad will shut down because of overheating on approach

That’s true but most approaches are flown largely in VMC. You still have to fly them correctly.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message