Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

For those who fly with just an Ipad :) (shutdowns at high or low temperatures, and GPS losses)

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Quote You will lose the ability to view Jepp charts in GP for Android – I have this in writing from them.

Really!! That sucks. I wonder if that is because Garmin wants to invest minimum required for Android or because Jeppesen makes it difficult.

EDMB, Germany

Arun wrote:

I use Garmin Pilot, which to my knowledge allows viewing geo-referenced Jepp charts if you have the subscription. I am curious to try GP on Android OS.

You will lose the ability to view Jepp charts in GP for Android – I have this in writing from them.

EGTR

Quotehow would a person owning a device with a most widely used OS could view Jepp plates in flight

I use Garmin Pilot, which to my knowledge allows viewing geo-referenced Jepp charts if you have the subscription. I am curious to try GP on Android OS. That might the answer to poor battery life of iPads as well. You could easily upgrade the tablets because they cost much less to iPads.

In theory I could do many things on iPads but I mostly use it for flight planning etc. iOS ecosystem doesn’t provide much added benefits for us GA pilots. Whatever sharing and syncing is needed, Dropbox or OneDrive suffices for that.

Last Edited by Arun at 25 Mar 20:04
EDMB, Germany

It is true that Apple stuff sells well in wealthy countries while Android stuff dominates everywhere else.

It is also true that supporting just IOS devices is less work for the programmer because of far less testing needed. So if you do one or the other, doing just IOS is a no-brainer given only wealthy countries have GA (pretty much; even in poor (3rd W) countries those who fly have well above average money).

ForeFlight is not the only means of viewing Jeppesen plates.

Currently, there is JetPlanner (a high end corporate tool), and some old software like Flitestar/Flitemap/Jeppview still runs on a PC. Jepp have dropped FS/FM years ago but the programs still run, JV is about to be “dropped” too, and that will leave only JetPlanner (not relevant to GA) and Foreflight on Ipads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

arj1 wrote: What am I missing?

An iPad ?

172driver, I’m happy that you find F$%ING entertaining but that was actually a serious question: how would a person owning a device with a most widely used OS could view Jepp plates in flight? To my knowledge, the answer to that is that it is impossible.

EGTR

the US GA scene is almost totally Apple (lots of money, and Apple=fashion)

And we all know US pilots follow every nuance of what is now and wow in the mass market, attentive to every aspect of sending the ‘right’ message through their consumer choices

I think you’re confusing American pilots with some other group, perhaps one closer to home. The reason a lot of US pilots accept the necessity to use iPads for Foreflight is because viewed as a whole the package is a good combination of easy, effective and cheap. Not enough money being spent for any choice to be of consequence, and any choice in this area is disposable. Who cares what you buy as long as it works well until it goes in the trash after a few years.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Mar 17:30

arj1 wrote:

What am I missing?

An iPad ?

NCYankee wrote:

ForeFlight is not the only means of viewing Jeppesen plates.

What are the other means of viewing Jepp plates in flight on an Android device (the majority of world portable devices)? Not aware of anything.
You could view it on Garmin Pilot, Apple-only version, and that is it. What am I missing?

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Jepp are trying to turn Foreflight (which they own) into the only means of viewing Jepp plates (terminal charts).

Jeppesen has never owned ForeFlight. ForeFlight had a strong business relationship with Jeppesen for many years before Boeing bought ForeFlight. Jeppesen was already owned by Boeing, so we are sister companies that are both owned by the same parent. ForeFlight is not the only means of viewing Jeppesen plates.

KUZA, United States
246 Posts
Sign in to add your message