Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I just read about ForeFLight “talking” with Garmin e.g. GTN 650/750 or GTX 335/345 etc.
https://foreflight.com/connect/garmin/

Since I’m facing transponder replacement in next few weeks I wonder if instead of installing of GTX 330 it is any better to install GTX 335 or GTX 345 and start with ForeFlight.
My concern is that on ForeFlight website most of options listed are addressed to US & Canada.
Morevoer there are only few options more than SD has e.g. syn view, maybe I’m missing something more important?
I’m not talking WAAS/GPS option just convienience of flight planning, fp transfers, navigation, weather, traffic.

Anybody has any experince with ForeFlight in Europe?
Any advantages in Europe of ForeFlight connected with Garmin transponder?

I have PowerFlarm with WiFi connected to SkyDemon it also shows me ADS B, mode C and A (sure A&C approx distance only) traffic. So far SD was found very handy both VFR and IFR.
Maybe just to stick to what I have and just install GTX 330?

Any advise would be appreciated.

EPXX

No foreflight does nothing in Europe. If you want the connectivity use the transponders with Garmin Pilot.

EGTK Oxford

Not for the time being. Their charts are US/CAN (and some Caribbean) only. That said, with the imminent advent of FF8, when they move to vector charts, this may well change. I did talk to a FF rep at an AOPA fly-in last year and he said they were looking into Europe, but the issue was the data availability, as has been discussed here more than once. I wouldn’t hold by breath just now. A pity actually, as it is an excellent product that has become the de-facto standard in the US.

Not for now, but if I was a betting man, I’d put pretty good money on FF being as big a player as Jeppesen down the road…

AdamFrisch wrote:

Not for now, but if I was a betting man, I’d put pretty good money on FF being as big a player as Jeppesen down the road…

I wouldn’t. GP will eat its lunch IMHO.

I love FF but they have never really shown any ambition to come to Europe.

Last Edited by JasonC at 14 Aug 18:43
EGTK Oxford

With V8, soon to be but not yet released, the vector maps are world wide, but there aren’t charts for approaches. In flight, there is terrain available as an optional base layer. The locations of airports, navigation facilities, airspace boundaries, airways and RNAV routes are all visible. You select what type of airways to display, low level or high level. IFR Charts and approach charts are available for US government operators such as the US military, but they can’t be obtained by the general public.

So without approach charts, one can depict and plan a route including airways, airspace, waypoints, Nav facilities, but would need another source for the approaches. There is a capability to download pdf files of approaches and select them for display from within the App, but this is not the general solution that is available in the US and Canada.

The app supports the Flight Stream 210 which has an AHRS, pressure altitude, GPS source, and Flightplan transfer to/from the GNS and GTN Garmin navigators. Support exists for the GTX345 transponder, but ADS-B In provides an incomplete view of surrounding traffic as only targets with ADS-B Out are detectable.

KUZA, United States

JasonC, with the new vector based maps in FF version 8, GP is in for a very rough ride. That was they’re only advantage they had (and it was clunky at that). FF plays well with all systems, GP only plays well with Garmin.

JasonC wrote:

If you want the connectivity use the transponders with Garmin Pilot.

Checked and looks like GP is an option. THX.
I wonder if SkyDemon eventually will have connection capability with Garmin?
If ForeFlight is a standard in US then seeing number of SD users around both VFR and small IFR it’s becoming sort of European standard.
Having in SD airways, plates SIDs/STARs, aerodrome charts not mentioning decent VFR nav which was basically made for and all of these for fraction of cost what competition offer the only thing that bothers me is “knobbing”/typing flight plan to Garmin equipment.
It takes roughly 10-15 min to employ autorouter to create FP, then to get Briefing and send both to IPad then FP to SD and be ready for another flight (plus reading of Briefing off course ).
Most of the times it’s done before arrival by a taxi to an airport/airfield or even during morning coffee but then…. again “knobbing” FP to Garmin.
Need to check if any of option in autrouter Garmin FPL/GFP works with Garmin Pilot.
Any experience?
If one of autorouter option works with GP then preps for flying would be even faster and easier:

autrouter FPL→ SD same FPL atorouter→GP→GNS530W/GTN – done!!!

EPXX

autrouter FPL→ SD same FPL atorouter→GP→GNS530W/GTN – done!!!

You can paste most routes generated by Autorouter directly into GP. So it is actually:

autrouter FPL→ GP→GNS530W/GTN – done!!!

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

ForeFlight has the same capability.

KUZA, United States
Sign in to add your message