Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Interesting development. Will be good to get a proper worldwide IFR alternative to Garmin Pilot.

EGTK Oxford

US AOPA article

There is a video also. It is full of corporate waffle but to me it sounds like Jepp Flitedeck (Ipad) and Jeppview (PC) will remain for corporate users, while Foreflight will become a sort of better version of Flitedeck, with Jepp data appearing here and there.

I see no info on European pricing. For sure it will not be the $200/year US Jeppesen terminal chart price which is normally around €1000 for a single device But the enroute data could be more reasonably priced… e.g. MFDVFR is some €350/year for enroute VFR charts and VFR airport approach charts.

OTOH would Jepp allow their MFDVFR data to be used in Foreflight, thus effectively killing MFDVFR which is really a very basic app which has little value except for the very good mapdata?

This short video has more corporate bull but has some more info in terms of showing the product

Does Foreflight have any of the features of Garmin Pilot relative to interacting with Garmin panel mounts (e.g. FP transfer)?

Fairly obviously Foreflight needs to incorporate Eurocontrol autorouting, which Garmin Pilot now has. But they may judge that the VFR market, being some 99% of the European GA activity, is big enough. OTOH the VFR market is highly price sensitive and with €100 products out there already and well established…?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

To me this seems 100% aimed at the US market. Europe is tiny in comparison to that, and its users have very different ideas and requirements, are very critical and the airspace is a complicated mess.

Even if they tried to develop a full VFR & IFR do-it-all alternative to Garmin Pilot, it would take several years before it is fully up to its job, plenty of time for Garmin to perfection their offering.

But again, according to the video, all the intend to do is “to bring Jeppesen charts to your Foreflight”.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

ForeFlight just announced a feature that Garmin Pilot has had for some time. Both allow you to enter your Jeppesen login and the allocate a license slot and retrieve charts directly off the Jeppesen server. So there is nothing groundbreaking here although competition is always a good thing.

As of today, ForeFlight is not useable outside North America. The big issue is navdata. ForeFlight uses FAA data to my knowledge (free of charge), Garmin license the worldwide Jeppesen ARINC-424 data (hence their shortened SID/STAR identifiers) while SkyDemon created their own.

ForeFlight has integration with Garmin cockpits as the only non Garmin solution that is allowed to do it.

Peter wrote:

OTOH would Jepp allow their MFDVFR data to be used in Foreflight, thus effectively killing MFDVFR which is really a very basic app which has little value except for the very good mapdata?

Jeppesen’s VFR tablet product has VFR enroute maps as well as all information from Jeppesen’s VFR approach plates. This is not comparable to what ForeFlight offer. The Jeppesen integration offered by both Garmin Pilot and ForeFlight is approach charts only.

Peter wrote

I see no info on European pricing.

At first it said that Europe was around $1450 (ie an order of magnitude more than US) but that was replaced by TBA since I last looked.

That is commensurate with Jepp pricing, who have always wanted to squeeze the most out of Europe, which is why they are viewed with such disdain over here.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Timothy wrote:

At first it said that Europe was around $1450

You are correct thats exactly what the price was before it was removed.

Looking at their pricing, Europe $1450, the REST OF THE WORLD $2791.

Timothy wrote:

which is why they are viewed with such disdain over here.

I cant understand why ?

Jepp terminal chart pricing for Europe is very high but this isn’t related to the platform (the app or the hardware).

Does Foreflight have any of the features of Garmin Pilot relative to interacting with Garmin panel mounts (e.g. FP transfer)?

I am told by someone who spoke to Foreflight about European coverage that they didn’t want to do it because Europe has no unified source of mapdata.

Administrator

quatrelle wrote:

I cant understand why ?

It is sometimes difficult, without tone of voice, to know whether something is said ironically or not.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Yes; leaving out smileys to see what the reaction is, is one of the hobbies which got me kicked out of the Socata forum

Administrator

Or maybe another view… USA $199 a year … Europe $1450 a year

Let me put it another way then … they must think that their ‘European Customers’ have MUGS written across their foreheads

Sign in to add your message