Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

Ah yes that makes sense. We don’t auto-check them to prevent potential issues with download space, etc.

ForeFlight - Head of International Gr...
KGTU, United States

Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight wrote:

Bulgaria should be back in the catalog now, please let me know if you have any additional issues.

Yes, new cycle became available.

ELLX

I talked to ForeFlight support about different altitudes and speeds and it’s on their roadmap, but no idea when it’ll be integrated.
They did, however, mention that one can vote for features by writing them an email so if you’d like to see this feature, get as many people as possible to send them one regarding that.

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight since some time has now passed I just wanted to ask again if anything has changed here since this, in my opinion, is quite important for VFR flying in Europe and requested by multiple members.

EDFE, Germany

Laracrucuas wrote:

I talked to ForeFlight support about different altitudes and speeds and it’s on their roadmap, but no idea when it’ll be integrated.
They did, however, mention that one can vote for features by writing them an email so if you’d like to see this feature, get as many people as possible to send them one regarding that.
Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight since some time has now passed I just wanted to ask again if anything has changed here since this, in my opinion, is quite important for VFR flying in Europe and requested by multiple members.

Hi @laracrucuas,

I don’t have an update as far as the timeline on this, but I have brought it up a few times with our flight planning team and will again. I am hoping to get support to move this along though because it’s something that all of our users can benefit from.

- Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi everyone,

I wanted to let everyone know that ForeFlight and Jeppesen will have an English language webinar on October 14 to discuss ForeFlight features, the transition from Jeppesen MFD VFR to ForeFlight, and answers questions. If you are able to join, we’d love to have you. We had a German language webinar recently and should have that recording up for viewing on ForeFlight.com/videos soon.

To sign up, visit: https://cc.readytalk.com/r/tl86rbot3qvu&eom

- Josh

KGTU, United States

Hi @Josh_Tahmasebi_ForeFlight,

thanks for your reply and bringing it up. Is there anything we can do to show our support for this particular feature in the meantime?

EDFE, Germany

I appreciate that. Apologies if I made it seem like there isn’t support from the team. It’s more about making sure we get it right and it’s semi-complicated. I know it may not seem that way because there are others doing this, however, you remember there are more gears turning on the back end to do proper calculations that we need to ensure are working before releasing anything. I’ll keep on it though.

Josh

KGTU, United States

This weekend I had my first trip with FF (rather than Autorouter). I decided to have a go (mostly because I heard good things about the performance models, and I didn’t have one set up for the plane I was using in AR).

tl; dr: Next time I’m still more likely to use AR

Issues I had with FF:
- I forgot It didn’t file a GAR (and ended up realising on the way to the airport)
- On the way out, my immediate outbound flight started showing “File” instead of the ack that it had been filed, a couple mins before the flight. I did have an email confirm previous filing. At first, I thought it had been because I had filed on the iPad, and there I was just looking on my phone (which could have not synched), but then my iPad also showed the same situation. I tried to press “File” to see what it did, but then I’d get an error saying there was a previously filed. FF doesn’t have the nice autorouter interface for filed plans, so it wasn’t possible to figure out what had happened.

I keep finding some things fairly poorly polished, such as:
- on the airports view, there is no super quick access to the Arrival / Destination / Alternate airports. You have to type!
- getting to approach plates on the map view require more clicks (and some scrolling) than going to the FBOs screen (~useless in europe)

On the pluses:
- Georeferenced places do work (unlike SD and French plates)
- Interface with Flightstream is really (really!) nice (no need to type long flightplans etc)

Noe wrote:

- on the airports view, there is no super quick access to the Arrival / Destination / Alternate airports. You have to type!

I tend to mark those as favourites before each trip to have quick access. For destination, you can get the plates directly from the flightplan interface (not the “flights” interface, the flightplan that optionally takes the top part of the map interface): put the departure / arrival / approach in the flightplan (“procedures” button), then click on the procedure in the flight plan then “show plate”.

Noe wrote:

- getting to approach plates on the map view require more clicks (and some scrolling) than going to the FBOs screen

I agree. That is annoying. Modulo the above trick, still, when I want a quick view at what procedures are available at an airport, the need to scroll, scroll, scroll is in the way.

ELLX

Hi @Noe

Great feedback! A couple of things that might help.

• On the filing issue you mentioned, it would be helpful to send this issue to our Pilot Support Team so we can investigate. The “File” button should change into an “Amend” and “Cancel” Button and also list that the flight plan has been filed to indicate the status and this will sync between devices as long as there is a network connection
  • A couple of tips for getting information quickly on the map for the scenarios you mentioned. You can always single tap on the airport on the map to get information about that airport, but another way to get information is by using the Edit view of the FPL drawer. If you tap on the Airport in your route string, you will get a drop-down with more options. To see Airport information in the fullscreen view, tap “Show Fullscreen”. To see a list of all available Departure/Arrival/Approach procedures + any other Airport Diagrams or text docs, tap “Show Plate”. Those that are geo-referenced will show on the map immediately, otherwise, it will show in a fullscreen view. There are several other quick options in this view to explore as well and they differ depending on the type of route element (airport, navaid, waypoint, procedure, and more).

I hope this helps!

Josh

KGTU, United States
Sign in to add your message