Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ForeFlight (merged thread)

I have just found out that this Track Log import also works with the Garmin G2000 files although the filename says G1000.

Charlie_Alpha
EHBD, Netherlands

As long as it is the same format as G1000, it should work :) I’ll let the team know Charlie_Alpha.

Josh

FF Director of Product - International
KGTU, United States

Hi Josh,

that is a fine set of features in the release notes…….

But really, have these been selected for inclusion in the ForeFlight roadmap based on what developers/product managers can add as perceived cool features rather than what pilots actually want? Key things we need in Europe are better IFR/VFR mapping (avoids having to switch back and forth to SkyDemon for Z or Y flight plans), flyby waypoints (avoids large open water legs) and better routing algorithms (often significant overheads compared to the free Autorouter). All are well communicated observations to ForeFlight but sadly little progress made with these hard European things compared to the easy-win feature list in the release notes.

I use ForeFlight and Jepp as my primary IFR flight filing and routing tools and I am now in my third year of use. I subscribe to the highest plan available and it costs around $800/year. But really the value for me is the 2 Ipad + 1 phone instance of Jepps so that I have flight data redundancy. But I am afraid the core features of the app would not be strong enough to be a stand-alone winner.

Phil

Lydd

I agree… the fly-by waypoint feature makes it hard to use for Eurocontrol IFR route generation. Currently this is usable only if by luck you get a route which is what you wanted (relative to wx, winds, etc).

I think the problem is that it is the same code for the US as for Europe.

It would be really interesting to see an official comment on this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well – not only that.
From a VFR perspective IMHO the most important things to fix are:
1. the basemap (it is still pretty much useless compared to SD and Jeppesen)
2. the flight planning process (i.e. W&B calculation separate from trip planning, no per-leg altitudes in profile view)

Until this hasn‘t been fixed there is absolutely no point in having different camera perspectives in playback…

EDNG, EDST, EDMT, Germany

To Phil’s and Supersonic’s lists I would add the bugs mentioned in post 96 (duplicated airfields, missing airfields, missing glider sites and winch launch altitudes, flakey implementation of Garmin Connext…).

If and when all of these issues are fixed, especially the current incompatibility with Garmin GPS navigators, I would consider FF a usable alternative to Garmin Pilot.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I wonder sometimes how ForeFlight decides which (minimum) pricing plan is chosen to receive new features.

It seems that an increasing number of new features are being placed in the most expensive plan … performance. It almost looks like a creeping attempt to entice all users to the highest-priced plan rather that keeping it for those with the most need, flying higher and faster aircraft. While most of the performance plan features are of most interest to jet and/or corporate pilots, some of the features that other products have for free such as Autorouter (a/c climb, descent, and cruise profiles, optimized routing) or almost free such as Airport 3D view in RunwayMap are just as useful for a C172 pilot as for a jet pilot. Same applies to takeoff & landing performance.

LSZK, Switzerland

A new update was just released. You can now specify route constraints in form of include/exclude waypoints and excluding FIRs: https://www.foreflight.com/releases/12-1/

Switzerland

ABOUT TIME

Can anyone check if this feature is available in the browser version as well?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just checked. Not available in the browser version.

Switzerland
Sign in to add your message