Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Foreign Licences - which ones do you have?

Thanks @JasonC for the info!

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Min Stokes in Perth – great help.

Started with the old German ICAO PPL-C (glider) and then PPL-A (aeroplanes). Got a 61.75 (SEL) on that, lost it again when I got a 61.75 on my German glider license and forgot to re-verify the PPL-A. Have a NZ PPL issued on the basis of that old German PPL-A, I honestly don´t know if I could use this license. Then went on to get a stand-alone FAA certificate, using the German hours for aeronautical experience, took me about three days including the checkride. Took this FAA certificate to convert my German LAPL (which I got instead of the EASA-FCL after missing a deadline a couple of years ago) into an FCL-PPL with a checkride instead of 10hrs + a checkride. Got an EIR last year and hopefully my EASA CPL will be in the mail next week.
I´m still happy having this FAA ticket, it´s the most easily comprehendible one.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Jonas wrote:

I have an FAA 61.75 PPL/IR based on my EASA PPL/IR.

Thinking of getting a standalone FAA CPL (like @aeroplus) in the future just for the challenge. As i understand i don’t have to do the PPL if i already have 61.75 PPL.

Correct

Seems obvious, but will I loose my 61.75? Which now includes the IR. Can the CPL and 61.75 PPL/IR co-exist? Otherwise i have to the standalone IR as well…

Yes, if you have a 61.75, you don’t lose it if you get a standalone. But if you have a standalone, you can’t then get a 61.75.

EGTK Oxford

Apparently it can although obviously this is a rare scenario.

Whether the FAA IR is a standalone one, or the “foreign pilot exam” one, doesn’t affect your ability to use either an FAA medical or an EASA medical.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I have an FAA 61.75 PPL/IR based on my EASA PPL/IR.

Thinking of getting a standalone FAA CPL (like @aeroplus) in the future just for the challenge. As i understand i don’t have to do the PPL if i already have 61.75 PPL.

Seems obvious, but will I loose my 61.75? Which now includes the IR. Can the CPL and 61.75 PPL/IR co-exist? Otherwise i have to the standalone IR as well…

Jonas

Last Edited by Jonas at 01 May 19:14
ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Fuji_Abound wrote:

This is no longer so. Mine was done entirely from outside Australia, but via an agent, so it was waiting for me on arrival. It can be done!

Interesting and good news – the old system was a nightmare.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

CASA are actually helpful and it is possible to reasonably easily speak to someone who appears to know what they are doing.

Agree. CASA really helped me along, also with the ASIC, although that process was largely outside their control. The two months timeframe sounds about right. Who did you use as agent?

I got an Ukrainian PPL license more than 10 years ago. Based on this one, I organised an FAA 61.75 as I fly a N-registered experimental plane. Then 6 years ago went for a FAA IR in Florida. At the next Ukrainian PPL revalidation, the IR right was transferred to my Ukrainian PPL. That was straightforward!
On the medial side, I only maintain the Ukrainian one proactively. Only when I fly in the US, I get a US medical as the typical local renting facilities don’t get the concept of using a non FAA medical on a 61.75.

Belgium

172driver wrote:

It can only be issued once you have legally entered Australia and physically obtaining the thing took a couple of weeks.

This is no longer so. Mine was done entirely from outside Australia, but via an agent, so it was waiting for me on arrival. It can be done!

I would allow about 2 months in total for an Australian licence from start to finish, although it is probably possible to do it in less. CASA are actually helpful and it is possible to reasonably easily speak to someone who appears to know what they are doing.

Yes. It is valid worldwide.

The 61.75 PPL has advantages:

• easier to get than a standalone FAA PPL, obviously
  • can use a non US (ICAO compliant) medical (where a US medical is not achievable*)
  • can get the FAA IR via the Foreign Pilot Exam route

and its chief disadvantage is that it is a “house of cards” via its dependence on the original license. This dependence has caused huge problems for European pilots in past years. These were not widely reported but from emails I got were connected with the one guy in Europe who was then able to issue a 61.75, being hard to get hold of on a timely basis, especially for large numbers of holders in certain countries, notably Germany where the 61.75 is very popular. IIRC, when EASA took over FCL from the NAAs, every 61.75 holder had to get his 61.75 reissued. This should not happen again but you never know.

The only downside AFAIK of a standalone PPL is the medical angle.

* I am not an AME but scenarios like some type of cancer under surveillance

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message