Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fouled plugs?

Open question – how do these look to you? Removed as I wanted to get rid of the last Champions fine wires I had in my engine, nothing particularly wrong was showing up on the EDM.

EGTF, LFTF

I’ve taken the liberty to enhance the pic a bit

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pretty terrible. How many hours since they were cleaned? I sandblast mine every 50h but they are usually pretty clean outside, just some lead dirt inside.

100 hours ago for sure, although in theory they should have been cleaned at the annual 25h ago.

Last Edited by denopa at 05 May 15:35
EGTF, LFTF

Is that stuff (especially on the RH plug) rust or is it some kind of deposit?

The RH one looks ghastly. The centre electrode looks more or less OK on both, however. Also I see no anti-seize compound has been used on the threads.

Administrator

Peter – thanks for improving the pic, it looks way worse on these than in reality though.
It’s a deposit; a different one on each (brown for the left, black for the right).

EGTF, LFTF

Clean your spark plugs more often. I have a handy sandblast cabin that connects to a compressor. Buy plenty of copper washers, don’t reuse them, they’re too cheap.

Those plugs look bad. We have the same engine and our fine wire plugs basically look like new when we take them out. Not even worth cleaning them. How much oil are you using? Do all 12 look this way?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

I don’t clean my plugs either.

They come out in a clean condition, especially the upper ones which have only light powder deposits. On the lower ones I dig out the deposits with a special tool (a welding nozzle cleaner tool actually).

There is something very wrong with this engine, IMHO. Maybe it is running extremely hot, or is being run very hot and well rich. The absence of thread lube is also a concern about what else is not being done.

Administrator

On the lower ones I dig out the deposits with a special tool (a welding nozzle cleaner tool actually).

I use dental picks, cheap and effective

68 Posts
Sign in to add your message