Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France Homebuilt (looking for advice)

You could also move it to Norwegian register. Then you will get a CofA and that’s it. It will be just like any other aircraft from there on, only easier maintenance. You can also install IFR and fly IFR. To get it there though, you have to show a log with pictures from the build process, which has to be approved, you have to import it to Norway (25% sales tax), and you also will have to fly some test runs to measure noise level. I wouldn’t do it unless living in Norway, but you will get it on what is probably one of the very best registers for experimental aircraft in Europe.

If I were in your position, I would leave it on France register for the time being and find out how that will work (if it will work). If not, I would definitely try to get it on Austrian register if possible, even if it would involve some technical assessment and some test flying. The Austrian authorities are only interested to be sure the aircraft is airworthy, and I can’t imagine an averagely well built Cozy should be a problem.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

The Norwegian homebuilt IFR privileges are extremely limited in terms of the airspace in which you can do it. Done to death here already

The point is however almost entirely moot because looking at Mode S data almost no homebuilts fly Eurocontrol IFR. I have seen only 2-3 over the past year. Homebuilt activity in Europe is heavily concentrated into specific narrow patterns.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

For Dutch (PH-reg) you need a Dutch mailbox service

What do you mean exactly? You just need a (dutch) representative, who can be ANYONE.

EDLE

Peter wrote:

Homebuilt activity in Europe is heavily concentrated into specific narrow patterns.

That’s only your opinion, Peter. I don’t know, where you have this Information from (FR24?). Many homebuilts are VERY capable machines unlike most of the spamcans. Even Europas went around the world, to the Canary Islands, South Africa…….

EDLE

You need a Dutch mailing address, with somebody there who will pass the mail through both ways. The idea is that the Dutch CAA doesn’t find out you are based abroad.

It’s similar with G-regs based abroad. You also need to find an LAA inspector who is willing to travel to you and not talk about it too much. Or you fly to the UK for the Annual and pretend the plane is based there…

Yes – FR24. You need the paid app, not the website. You can’t do practical IFR without Mode S.

I didn’t say nobody does long trips in uncertifieds Just a very high correlation. I once shared a hangar with a pilot who flew an ultralight UK to Kathmandu (literally) and did a lot of IMC on the way.

Many of the planes are really capable and in terms of pure mission capability and range they could be doing long and fast trips all over Europe but it’s hugely obvious that the vast majority doesn’t. My guess is that you can’t escape the cost of the fuel and since nowadays the fuel is most of the DOC… Another factor might be cockpit comfort.

I am sorry for pointing out the negatives, too often, but would you want to spend 50k-100k on something and find out only afterwards? This stuff just doesn’t get discussed openly elsewhere. One could argue it two ways: the existing community doesn’t want it in the open, for obvious reasons, but newcomers waste a lot of their time and money. I know a UK syndicate around a homebuilt which spent some (IIRC) 80k and never knew even about the VFR permits! That’s despite at least one of them hanging out on one busy UK chat site (on which admittedly almost nobody bothers to write anything informative).

It’s a story repeated in many areas of GA…. it’s great to be positive and even I do that sometimes

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The idea is that the Dutch CAA doesn’t find out you are based abroad.

Sorry, that’s nonsense, there’s a form on the website of the CAA-NL concerning representation https://www.ilent.nl/Images/ILT.004.04%20-%20Statement%20concerning%20representation_tcm334-318765.pdf , no need to hide anything.

Peter wrote:

It’s similar with G-regs based abroad.

No, the situation is completely different with the LAA (you don’t even have a “LAA” between the CAA-NL and the owner other than the representative). Done here to death as well

Peter wrote:

You can’t do practical IFR without Mode S.

I didn’t say anything else. If you mean everything other than IFR is flying in narrow patterns, then I understand you at least.

Peter wrote:

Many of the planes are really capable and could be doing trips all over Europe but it’s hugely obvious that the vast majority doesn’t.

Again, I don’t see any difference between the Experimentals and the rest of GA in this regard.

Peter wrote:

I am sorry for pointing out the negatives, too often

I am sorry to contradict again and again

Last Edited by europaxs at 31 May 10:23
EDLE

there’s a form on the website of the CAA-NL concerning representation

That’s interesting to many I am sure – thanks.

It does still leave you with the based-in country’s limitations on how long…

If you mean everything other than IFR is flying in narrow patterns, then I understand you at least.

I meant long distance VFR too, which is difficult to do in general without Mode S.

This is not to say “spamcans” do long trips. They mostly don’t. But they also have mostly poor capabilities. The zero fuel range of a PA28-161 is c. 600nm which realistically limits you to about 300nm. The range of a C152 makes it useless for anything but “burger runs” – unless you are really determined.

I am sorry to contradict again and again

I am very happy with that

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I meant long distance VFR too, which is difficult to do in general without Mode S.

Mode S isn’t a big issue, just install one in your Experimental and go.

Peter wrote:

The range of a C152 makes it completely useless for anything but “burger runs”.

But you know, that you can depart again after refuelling?

EDLE

Mode S shows up on FR24

Makes it easier to get an idea of flying patterns.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Mode S shows up on FR24

But which filters do you use? “Experimentals”? My guess is (but I might be wrong), that you don’t see all GA-flights on FR 24. You can even apply to be removed AFAIK.

Edit: FR24 has many limitations, discussed here https://www.euroga.org/forums/non-certified/4890-how-many-homebuilts-fly-high?page=3 already….

Last Edited by europaxs at 31 May 11:10
EDLE
Sign in to add your message