Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France: straight-in IFR joins prohibited (a VFR circuit is mandatory?) if tower is unmanned

5.1.3.3 Autre aérodrome
Lorsqu’un aérodrome n’est pas pourvu d’un organisme de la circulation aérienne ou lorsqu’un tel organisme n’est pas en activité, un aéronef doit procéder à une manoeuvre à vue libre si une telle manoeuvre est possible, compte tenu des conditions météorologiques. Il doit s’intégrer dans la circulation d’aérodrome en respectant, sauf consigne particulière relative au sens de la manoeuvre à vue libre, les règles d’intégration définies pour les VFR au paragraphe 4.2.2.1. Si les conditions météorologiques le permettent, la descente est interrompue à une hauteur supérieure au plus haut des circuits d’aérodrome publiés pour la piste en service. Si l’aéronef évoluant en VMC décide d’effectuer une approche à vue, il doit s’intégrer dans la circulation d’aérodrome conformément aux dispo- sitions prévues pour les VFR au paragraphe 4.2.2.1

In english, if VMC, the pilot has to stop its descent and perform a VMC circuit to check the runway, windsock…
But if not (ceiling under prescribed altitude, you continue the approach.

Am I right Guillaume ?

Last Edited by Emmanuel at 22 Mar 14:11
LSGL

To your first question : No. On a good day, you perform an IFR approach and you stop your descent above the heighest VFR traffic patern and perform a circling which is VFR join. You don’t have to cancel IFR at any time. You fly a VFR traffic pattern while you are IFR. It’s perfectly ok to do that. This is what we expect. And being still IFR, this allows you to fly the fly the missed instrument approach procedure if you need to.

The only real difference that I can see is that if you choose to cancel IFR, you no longer have the clearance to fly the published missed approach (if a part of missed approach is in controlled airspace)

ATC can never force you to cancel IFR at any point.

Miner Mike,
This is what euroga is for :-)

I actually think that most of the time, pilot fly straight in approach even when there is no ATS.
But, that’s not the rule ;-)

Guillaume,

So if the weather is bad (i.e. ceiling below the circuit height), can you then legally fly the straight-in instrument appraoch? I assume so. Otherwise, instrument approaches without ATS would be useless…
But where is this written down?

What ATC body are you working at and which small IFR aerodrome were you referring to?

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Mar 14:16
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosmantico,

that’s what I say in my last post.
If ONLY the ceiling permits a VMC circuit for the runway, you HAVE to do it, otherwise, you’re clear to continue your approach.

LSGL

I can’t help it but it appears to me that this traffic circuit idea is not very safe.

My IR training was done in the U.S. There people announce their position on unicom and all traffic can know where the other traffic is. One may say that one is on the “RNAV RWY 33 10 miles out” followed by more reports on the long final the closer one gets. The IFR traffic follows the IAP to the touchdown point. With a lot of traffic in the vicinity one announces one’s own position a bit more frequently or responds to the position reports of others. That, of course, requires the will to speak and coordinate amongst all pilots.

I also wonder about the French practice when larger/faster aircraft are involved?

Frequent travels around Europe

@Stephan
The procedure with announcing one’s position over the frequency is exactly what I do in France as well (in French) when no ATS is available.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Boscomantico :
The text says : when it’s possible (ie if ceiling allows you) you should perform a circling.
Now, if the ceiling is between the straight-in and the circling minimums, it’s a grey area.
The rule doesn’t tell you what to do when circling is not possible. So I’m not going to make up a rule :-)

However, as an IR pilot, I wouldn’t fly a straight-in non-precision approach, in a bad weather without ATS. Especially if my QNH settings comes from an airport which is 200 km away . There could be a 3 hPa offset between the two airport. Down to the minimums you could be almost 100 ft too low without knowing it. I wouldn’t play with that, but that’s just me.

This is why you have increased minimum on Auxerre plate when there is no ATS.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 22 Mar 17:54

I don’t agree with what was said above about French regulations:
you may never fly a straight in IFR approach at an uncontrolled airfield if there is no AFIS. There is no gray area
You have to circle at the altitude of the VFR circuit if possible, if not, you have to circle anyway at a lower altitude, provided you can maintain the visual references required for a circling approach. If you can’t you have to execute a missed approach.
You must get the visual clues above or at the MDA for circling to be allowed to continue the approach.
You of course never have to cancel IFR.
Arrêté du 17 juillet 1992 relatif aux procédures générales de circulation aérienne pour l’utilisation des aérodromes par les aéronefs
5.1.2 Dispositions relatives aux paramètres
5.1.2.2 Autre aérodrome (Aérodrome sans ATS)
Lorsqu’un aérodrome n’est pas pourvu d’une tour de contrôle ou d’un organisme AFIS, ou lorsqu’aucun de ces organismes n’est en activité, un aéronef doit à l’arrivée
. prendre connaissance du calage altimétrique QNH d’une station désignée suivant une procédure agréée
par l’autorité de l’aviation civile territorialement compétente,
. effectuer une procédure d’approche suivie d’une manoeuvre à vue libre et conduire celle-ci de façon à procéder à l’examen de l’aérodrome. Cet examen doit notamment porter sur l’aire à signaux, la manche à air, l’état de la surface de l’aire de manoeuvre afin de déterminer la piste ou l’aire d’atterrissage à utiliser et
s’assurer que l’usage de l’aérodrome ne présente pas de danger apparent.

EDIT: I was wrong, you have to cancel IFR if you want to avoid flying overhead (eg parachute jumping), as the exemption to fly overhead is only valid for VFR flights. You may avoid flying overhead if you are VFR and you already know what’s going on on the airfield.

What’s the use of SERA if the rules remain different?

Last Edited by Piotr_Szut at 22 Mar 19:59

I don’t agree with what was said above about French regulations:
you may never fly a straight in IFR approach at an uncontrolled airfield if there is no AFIS. There is no gray area
You have to circle at the altitude of the VFR circuit if possible, if not, you have to circle anyway at a lower altitude, provided you can maintain the visual references required for a circling approach. If you can’t you have to execute a missed approach.
You must get the visual clues above or at the MDA for circling to be allowed to continue the approach.
You of course never have to cancel IFR.

I re-read the text at home and I agree with your interpretation.

EDIT: I was wrong, you have to cancel IFR if you want to avoid flying overhead (eg parachute jumping), as the exemption to fly overhead is only valid for VFR flights. You may avoid flying overhead if you are VFR and you already know what’s going on on the airfield.

I disagree with you.

- 5.1.3.3 says that IFR have to join the VFR pattern according to 4.2.2.1
- 4.2.2.1 says you may obtain airport info according 4.1.3
- 4.1.3 NOTE 2 says you can skip overhead if you catch up A/A message

Easy ?
So, IFR don’t “have to” fly overhead.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 22 Mar 20:18
Sign in to add your message