Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free online VFR charts for Europe

I agree they are not as sharp as they could be but I can’t see the joins. Could you point out the location of one?

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Apr 09:43
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

here

This one has come up here before, but what I have recently heard is that this is a private venture of some sort, which leads to the question of whether it is current…

There is another similar one for Switzerland…

I am amazed the copyright owners are allowing this – a very rare thing in Europe.

Administrator

What a great find. It says Nouvelle 2014. Actually works quite well with Notams etc.

EGTK Oxford

How current are these?

France

Switzerland

Germany, Austria and Switzerland (you have to sign up, login and then go to Flugvorbereitung → VFReBULLETIN)

One would assume they are current but hey don’t seem to have dates on them. Only the last one is “obviously” official (DFS).

Administrator

The French one is 2014 so certainly out of date. Even when you get the 2015 one, it will be out of date a month later. Don’t know about the Swiss one, but the same priciple applies. The German link you gave only leads to a NOTAM briefing site for flight within Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

Paper charts and scanned versions if these (“raster charts”) are no longer worth dealing with in this world of rapidly changing airspaces. Vector charts is the only way to go.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Mar 18:54
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Concerning the French one, it says in the legend that it is the 2014 edition. The 2015 edition is due for publication in early April 2015.

LFPT, LFPN

The French one is 2014 so certainly out of date.

OK… I should have realised these are probably just the “printed” charts. The UK CAA charts are also done the same way i.e. the 2015 one will not be out till about May 2015 and that is the southern UK only. The northern UK one is done every 2 years, and Scotland every few more years. There is no regularly updated VFR chart. A bizzare situation!

Vector charts is the only way to go.

Probably true but you pay €€€ for those products. One ought to be excused for looking for a free version if one exists.

Administrator

And why should that be so? IF there were a reliable and publicly available database of aeronautical data (aerodromes, navaids, waypoints, airways, airspace, atc services and associated frequencies) then it should be easy enough, or feasible at the least, to translate these to vector format and superpose them on open source geographical data such as OpenStreetMap.

But of course there have been ample rumours of the national CAA’s supporting the interests of commercial publishers.

Last Edited by at 15 Mar 19:10
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

the 2015 one will not be out till about May 2015 and that is the southern UK only

(I agree with your point, but…) the 2015 Southern UK chart is already out – has been for abut a week.

EGEO

The Swiss one is current. And airspace changes are usually done only once per year so that they make it into the printed chart.

LSZK, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message