Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Freelance instructing - new rules?

The CBM (competence based modular) IR is what used to be called the FCL008 IR.

It's been working its way through the pipeline for a few years.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Is it true that the UK CAA does not allow IR training to take place outside the UK?

I vaguely recall hearing somewhere that the usual cost-saving approach of flying approaches to Calais or Dieppe is not allowed within the JAA/EASA IR training, via a UK FTO.

One of our group exchanged emails about this with Andrew Haines and Ray Elgy (CEO and Head of Flight Safety and Training at the CAA, respectively) and they confirmed that this is allowed under EASA, subject to notification to the relevant NAA and an update to the ops manual. Whether that update is approved, and how much the approval costs, is another question!

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Looking ahead one has to question the future of modular IR schools, the supply of IRI candidates has already dried up under EASA rules. That means there will be a move towards using ex airline pilots who will be more attracted to the MPL training at Integrated ATOs rather than the smaller modular ATOs offering IRs. With less schools and less IRIs the CBM IR is hardly going to flourish, neither is the concrete parachute the EIR.

Does anybody have actual experience of their recent IR revalidation, past the 365-day point? I revalidated mine ~6 months ago but didn't go over the deadline. What is the process they use to "determine" you need retraining?

Yes me, albeit on an IMCr, but I think the principal is the same. My SEP re val, fell out of step with my IMCr renewal, ie year one was the SEP, year 2 was the IMCr, year 3 was the SEP again etc.

Last year, I was told that the flight with an instructor, for the IMCr, would be a sign off for the SEP, however, I forgot to get the instructor to sign off, both the IMCr, and the SEP, and effectively bring the two into line. Therefore, when I approached an instructor to get signed off on a club 172, for a specific flight, he pulled me up on the fact that my SEP, was out of date. Ah said I, and admin error, I will get the IMCr instructor to sign it off, back dated.

Nope, he had called the instructor about 5 minutes before I did, and both agreed that I had to complete a full flight test, and effectively renew my SEP, at a cost of 550.00 for one hour in a 172.

The fact that I had more hours than the instructor, made no difference. I work for the club he stated, and of course it was my fault for not keeping my licences up to date.

Issue has now been resolved, in that both are now in sync, but I felt a bit stitched up.

Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

I think all schools will be struggling to find IRI in the future.

he had called the instructor about 5 minutes before I did, and both agreed that I had to complete a full flight test, and effectively renew my SEP, at a cost of 550.00 for one hour in a 172.

I regularly do such tests in a C172 and the cost would be £257! You were stitched up to the tune of £300!

The prices you quote always seem incredible to me. In 2011 I was not able to fly due to a ankle problem. To prorogate my licence , since I had not logged the mandatory 12 hours in the previous 12 monthes I had to do a test with a FE.
The price for the flight, FE included, was 75 euros an hour. (I did it in a 65hp tailwheel Jodel).

SE France

Thierry

You have to remember there is a wide geographical variation in the UK (basically anywhere near London cost the earth).

Up north a Cessna 150 would set you back 100 quid. An 172 130 quid and the examiners charge is 100 notes.

18 Posts
Sign in to add your message