Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French BEA recommends type specific training for SR20/SR22

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Will we get a SR22 type rating? You never know with EASA.

United Kingdom

I had a test flight in a new SR22 about a month back. I executed a couple of ‘touch and go’s’ and did notice that a high amount of right rudder was needed to keep things straight down the runway, It rather caught me by surprise, especially coming from a 200HP Arrow to a 315HP Cirrus. I’m sure that after a couple of hours in the circuit you would get used to the power coming in, and be ready with the correct rudder input.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

No. These reports from the various national accident investigation boards are full of recommendations of all kinds. Almost none of these are ever picked up. Paper is patient.

Just by the way, that story about the “extraordinary power of the SR22 engine” is nonsense. The engine is very common. Granted, most aircraft with 300/310 hp are slightly heavier than the SR22, but not by much.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You need right rudder in the Mirage as well. But the effect is nothing that a mildly competent pilot can’t handle. The report reads like the pilot was overloaded rather than really being engine related.

Last Edited by JasonC at 06 May 08:03
EGTK Oxford

The article refers to ‘P Factor’, which from my understanding is different to prop wash over the rudder, and causes a roll to the left with a clockwise rotating prop due to generating more air flow on the descending blade than the ascending blade at higher angles of attack.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

IMHO the only thing that needs some getting used to in the SR22 is the missing nose gear steering when you come from a Piper. When I take off I start the t.o. roll with the nose of the a/c pointed five degrees to the right. By the time the rudder becomes effective (which is almost immediately) the nose is straight.

On go-around the SR22 behaves like all similar aircraft, i think. Of course you don’t slam the power lever when you’re hanging there with low speed … and if you’re already on the ground you don’t wait to apply rudder until the a/c is starting to veer off to the left …

I can only talk for myself: But I think the aircraft is very easy to fly and go-arounds and touch and go’s don’t need more training than other types.

Crosswind landings, even in strong winds, are just as simple, and due to the high wing loading (highest in this class) the a/c is very stable in turbulence.

which from my understanding is different to prop wash over the rudder, and causes a roll to the left with a clockwise rotating prop due to generating more air flow on the descending blade than the ascending blade at higher angles of attack.

There’s actually three effects:
- Torque (" force in one direction generates force in the opposite direction ….“)
- Propeller slipstream (”cork screw") hitting left side of vertical stabilizer/rudder
- higher angle of incedence of downward moving propeller blade at high angle of attack produces more thrust of (right) side of propeller disc.

These 3 combined is what everybody calls “torque”

I occasionally take up offers to sit RHS in Cirri to help pilots who don’t have much IFR experience. I have no instructor rating and very little hands on time in them. However, I get the impression that even those who have had the Cirrus training haven’t had the handling habits drilled into them as they fly on he automatics until very late in the approach.

The normal go around without warning is at all levels of aviation the worst performed manoeuvre, and people don’t ever give any thought to how they will fly it. Looking at the go around procedure isn’t really sufficient – it’s important to think and touch drill what you’re going to do with your hands, feet and cockpit levers. If you’ve thought about it in detail 10 minutes ago, you will do it far better than if startled into it and recalling the actions from a dark corner of the brain.

London area

Will we get a SR22 type rating? You never know with EASA.

You don’t, but in this case differences training would satisfy the recommendation.

In Sweden, pre-EASA, differences training was required for all aircraft types unless the type was sufficiently similar to something you’ve flown already. E.g. if you had flown a C172 before, you could fly a C152 without differences training, but not a PA28.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message