Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

From Cyprus to Portugal

Not my intention to create another trip article rather to share a few impressions on the airports I had to land in between.

Left LCLK with a pretty idea that there was no way I could avoid be robed somewhere in Greece, headwind.

For that I just contacted Goldair and gave them the freedom to choose between Rodhes and Samos. Samos it was and around 3 hours after departure there I was facing the normal north cross wing averaging 14 Kt. Refuel with 40 liters, the safe minimums to reach Skopje for 2.75 Euro/L.

Time to go in some and pay all the required fees. I was already with my ‘antennas’ on since the last time when I later realized that I had to pay 30 euros for customs. Back to that later. After the bus, I am taken to the land side to pay the fees. For the landing and PPR I was faced with 75.18 euros, already with the AOPA discount. That was after a big fight with the customs chief not to pay the 30 euros for customs fees. Reason, I am in transit so even being outside Scheguen or EU, I am on a technical stop. Yes I did cross to the land side, not because I wanted, because the system is design like that. Additionally I had to pay 58.50 euros to Fraport (through an old lady that took her time for a simple operation) due for landing fees.

Out of there and 3 more hours to Skopje. 32.82 for landing, handling and ATC, and full tanks for 1.25 Euros/L. A bit more compared to last 2 months when I stayed there for a couple of days. Nevertheless, one thinks about leaving there cargo and passengers there in exchange of a couple of jericans of fuel.

Last leg of the day to Calvi (LFKC). Crossing the Adriatic I was told by ATC of a gliders competition on my route till 11,000 ft. To be on the safe side I do climb to 12,000 ft. Problem is that I could risk to enter Rome Class A airspace in a conflicting altitude for VFR. Making a long story short, I was authorized to maintain 12,000 ft till a moment already on the west cost where ATC asked me if I was ready to cancel IFR. Cauth by surprise I requested a ‘Say again’ followed by ‘’Yes Sir, 5B-CLV ready to Cancel IFR, so descend to 6,000 ft’. Tank you ROME FIR.

Approaching Calvi, a bush fire in the vicinity and 3 water tankers flying around offered me a couple of race tracks around the cost, till a nice clearance to final. After a harsh reprimand for arrive so late, I am offered a ride to the hotel by that nice lady. Next morning full tanks at 1,79 euro/L and 28,19 euro for one night parking and handling.

First leg of the day to LECN, a race to arrive before the siesta period where the airport closes for a significant number of hours in the afternoon. Don’t remember the price for the fuel but you can find it easily, also the fees where insignificant. Rushing to depart before the closure of the airport, the final leg home to LPSO.
Parking fees at LPSO are 7 euros per day, including the landing. Other landings between the initial arrival and final departure are around 50 cents. AvGas at 2,43 euro/L.

BR

LPSR, Portugal

Quite a trip!

That was after a big fight with the customs chief not to pay the 30 euros for customs fees. Reason, I am in transit so even being outside Scheguen or EU, I am on a technical stop. Yes I did cross to the land side, not because I wanted, because the system is design like that.

If that’s way the airport is designed, then you have little to argue.

Crossing the Adriatic I was told by ATC of a gliders competition on my route till 11,000 ft. To be on the safe side I do climb to 12,000 ft. Problem is that I could risk to enter Rome Class A airspace in a conflicting altitude for VFR. Making a long story short, I was authorized to maintain 12,000 ft till a moment already on the west cost where ATC asked me if I was ready to cancel IFR. Cauth by surprise I requested a ‘Say again’ followed by ‘’Yes Sir, 5B-CLV ready to Cancel IFR, so descend to 6,000 ft’. Tank you ROME FIR.

Great!

After a harsh reprimand for arrive so late

I guess you mean after the closing time of the customs office, correct?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Nice trip !
Thank you for the report !

Goldair seems the less bad handler for GA in Greece, right ?

LFOU, France

lmsl1967 wrote:

Parking fees at LPSO are 7 euros per day, including the landing.

How’s Ponte de Sor (the town not airport)? Is it worth visiting?

I flew over it a few times and always wondered if I should land and have a look…

Last Edited by geekyflyer at 22 Aug 09:36

@ Boscomantico

Yes, customs were already closed.

@ Jujupilote
It’s the cheaper, never used any other so I cannot compare. I think the problem is the ‘system’.

@Greekyflyer

Ponte de Sor is a very small village with nothing to see. The airfield is the base for the Gair, a big flight school.

Unless you land at the big airports, like Lisbon, Porto, Faro or Cascais, the rest ends up to be free of charge. Few days ago I was at LPBG, free of charge and you have amazing places to visit, not only the city of Braganza but the surroundings.

LPSR, Portugal
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message