Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

From Greece (LGST) to Zanzibar (HTZA), Madagascar (FMNN), Mauritius (FIMP) etc.

We’d like to fly down to Zanzibar, Madagascar, Mauritius etc.
Greece is becoming more and more expensive but is nothing in comparison to Egypt, Saudi Arabia or Sudan.

So, what is the strategy if one wants to get there optimizing handling, landing and Avgas fees – not to go there is no option ;)

Range is a comfortable 1.200 NM + 2 hours reserve (@150 KTAS), however, flight-time shouldn’t exceed 7 hours.

Options:
Sitia (LGST) – Hurghada (HEGN) – Djibouti (HDAM)
Sitia (LGST) – Aswan (HESN) – Djibouti (HDAM)

Especially the second legs (HRGN/HESN) with appr. 1.100 NM is very (too?!) challenging.

What are the alternatives?

Sitia (LGST) – Jeddah (OEJN) – Djibouti (HDAM)
Sitia (LGST) – Khartoum (HSSS) – Djibouti (HDAM)

I really would like to reduce being ripped-off to an absolute minimum, but as far as I know especially for Jeddah, Khartoum fees of appr. 500-600 € must be expected, Avgas ~ 5 € per Litre.

So, what are your suggestions? Any other opportunities?!

Someone who can provide current information in regard to handling, landing, parking, permission and Avgas fees especially for

• HEGN
  • HDAM
  • HESN
  • OEJN
  • HSSS

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Why do you want to go via Djibouti ? With your range your could do Khartoum – Lokichoggio – Nairobi/Wilson – Zanzibar. You might not even need the Lokichoggio stop, although that makes the Khartoum – Wilson leg pretty long at 1040nm.

Hi TB_flyer
Good to see you are planning your next trip.
Let me correct some information for you, as Egypt is nowadays no way close to Greece after Fraport had it’s acquisition of Greek Airports.
I am not trying to advertise here , as we don’t really advertise, but rather depend on word of mouth from other pilots who have used us but we signed an agreement with EgyptAir in 2013 which grants our pilots a discount of up to 75% compares to other handlers in Egypt, this make your final invoice per stop in Egypt around 250 USD (which I believe is the airport fees alone you need to pay in Greece with Fraport), AVGAS is 4 USD / Liter (other agents try to overcharge you by quoting 5 USD+

Sudan can be tricky at sometimes and if you don’t know the agent you are using from before, as they always try to charge you top dollar or pull tricks on you, but again We use a trusted agent which appreciates and understands what GA is all about and knows the difference between an A320 and a Cessna.
Average handling fees in Sudan is also around 200-300 USD, I don’t recommend an overnight stop as airport fees can be expensive, average AVGAS price is 800 to 1000 USD per barrel depends on availability and quantity you uplift.
I would avoid Jeddah as handling alone is 600 USD + Permits + Navigation + Airport Fees
from HSSS I Would suggest you route to HKLK, AVGAS needs to be prearranged as they move the barrels from Nairobi, Average 600 USD / Barrel

We are dealing with these countries on daily basis as we have flights on going all year long on this route, we have ferried also a few aircrafts to Madagascar last year and have a C210 now in Loki (HKLK) after transiting through Egypt and Sudan, final destination Tanzania and back.

Let me know if we can be of any help

Thanks and good luck
Ahmed

Last Edited by Ahmed-GASE at 20 Jul 21:38

I paid 862 USD fees at HESN last year. Cash only. Parking one night. Handler was https://www.an-aviation.com
Don’t know for other airports. Have fun!

Last Edited by loco at 21 Jul 04:38
LPFR, Poland

@loco
Do you have a breakdown of the 862$?
This agent is well known of ripping GA pilots and unfortunately they are the number one choice of a Flight support company based in UK.

Would be interesting to see whats the actual fees are supposed to be VS what you paid

Sure, here it is. Just to be clear, I found that often handling in Asia, Africa or Russia is $2K, so I don’t consider this to be very bad.
You’re right that I was using a UK support company and hand no choice of handler.

Last Edited by loco at 21 Jul 17:36
LPFR, Poland

loco wrote:

WOW
What a rip off !
Ok let’s start

first of all 180 USD for supervision is beyond crazy, maximum for a GA light aircraft (not talking here about a GIV or a Citation) is 100 USD.
Day landing Fees in accordance with Egyptian AIP is 28.75 USD
There is nothing called Security – this is absolutely fake and non existent
Leading – I’ll assume thats Marshaling and this is part of the basic handling ( unfortunately a lot of pilot don’t ask what’s included in their Basic handling package and as a result they get deceived by their agents) a basic handling package anywhere in Egypt includes Chocks + Marshalling + 01 Crew bus (we offer 2 bus not 1)

Fire Cart – According to Egyptian AIP Fire Brigade fees is only applied as per PIC request and it’s not mandatory so only if you request it you get charged for it.

Terminal Crew Bus per way – 30 USD total 60, Again as I said that’s included in basic handling + or – 1

Town Transport per leg – 10 USD taxi do the job why would i pay triple the price

Parking is 34.5 USD – That’s not per night, that’s the minimum charge for any aircraft below 25 Tons, so per ton it’s 4.04 per 24 hours, if you don’t reach the 34.5 within the period you stay, you pay the minimum of 34.5 USD so not per night as they mention on their invoice.

Immigration Service 80 USD – sorry but that’s another rip off, Aswan is a 24/7 International airport and immigration is not a paid service.

I suggest that you go back to your flight support company / Handler and ask them to provide you with the original invoices by CAA / Airport for the fees collected, I bet they will fail to present it or you will get a photoshop version

Again unfortunately most GA Pilots don’t even bother asking agents for the original backups / invoices which they collect on behalf of authorities / offices and that’s where the agents pull their tricks

7 Posts
Sign in to add your message