Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel and customs stop in Holland/Germany

I’m planning to fly to Prague in early June for the EFA airshow, and I wondered if any forumites had any recommendations for a good GA customs/avgas stop halfway between London and Prague?

I fly between Prague and Oxfordshire every year, and my favourite fuel stop is Charleroi EBCI because avgas is considerably cheaper in Belgium than in Germany or Netherlands (and Netherlands would be off the direct route anyway). EBCI is ~380 NM by great circle from Prague – if your range is smaller, you may consider Spa EBSP (but it’s VFR only, and call them to make sure border control is operating at the time of your arrival, or the ATC will divert you). If you want to land on the German side of the border, consider Mönchengladbach EDLN (IFR and VFR) or Bonn-Hangelar EDKB (VFR only). EDKB is one of the few places that have both LL100 and UL91, and UL91 is cheaper. Mind their strict noise abatement procedures, though! The prescribed circuit is quite constrained, though the respective landmarks are easy to recognise.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 25 Mar 15:43
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

reasionable updated list of german airfields and there fuel prices
http://www.airshampoo.de/mod/icao/icao.php?prices=1&sort=100ll

slightly south of your route EDFZ with Avgas jet and Mogas and good Restaurant also customs (just need to call them before T/O and fax docs)

fly2000

Avgas in The Netherlands is much more expensive than the smaller airfields in Germany

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

But the smaller fields won’t have customs (“immigration”, really) and that is wanted too.
ultranomad did well to recommend my country, but I think EBKT Kortrijk-Wevelgem will be more relax and probably even less expensive than Charleroi.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I’ve used Siegerland (EDGS) for a stop on that trip. Moderately good Italian restaurant on the field. Not the cheapest, but not badly priced.

Luxembourg ELLX could be worth thinking about.

EGTK Oxford

Luxembourg took more than 30 mins to get an AvGas bowser to us at the weekend as we were ready to depart. The GAT staff was friendly and helpful though, and the fees not bad (1999 kg private: EUR 60 handling + EUR 10 landing). Bit far south though, isn’t it?

Cologne EDDK is not crazy, and has great service but costs about EUR 110. Maastricht EHBK is also bang on the route, but I haven’t been there for a while.

1.94 eur/l in ELLX for march

ELLX (Luxembourg), Luxembourg

..which is actually a few cents more than many places in France currently…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message