Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel duty drawback (reclaim)

I recently flew to Copenhagen and stopped in Holland en route. I fuelled before departure, and UK drawback was easy. Does anyone know if drawback can be claimed for Denmark or Holland? If so, any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Diarmuid

I have never heard of a UK-type drawback being available outside the UK.

Rumours (never AFAIK confirmed) suggest Italy does something similar. I have certainly heard from multiple sources that Italian aeroclubs have a "means" of getting avgas duty free, but then can't sell it to foreigners; whether this is connected I have no idea.

You can get duty free avgas almost anywhere in Europe (except the UK) by producing an AOC. In the UK, it also works but the reclaim has to be done separately afterwards (not at the pump).

VAT paid on fuel can be reclaimed if the flight is wholly and exclusively for the purpose of a business (that's a UK HMRC rule but is probably universal) and the business is VAT registered.

In years past, it was easy in various places (especially Spain) to get duty and/or VAT free avgas just by telling the pump man it is a "commercial" flight. Wearing the commercial pilot uniform helped. I don't think this method works anymore; it seems to have disappeared gradually over the past 10 years

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks As it's private flying with no AOC, I'll have to assume that I have to pay the full amount!

I have this from a pilot in Denmark

Reimbursement of VAT on AVGAS in Denmark is only possible if your are making a commercial flight, or are a private pilot flying to a destination as an employee on a mission pertaining to your employer or company.

In addition, the pilot has to have acquired a permit to do so from the Danish Ministry of Transport. This is not a big deal but costs 5000,- DKK. This is intended to keep way those who might try to speculate in reclaiming the tax. In other words, if you don't fly for business purposes on a regular basis, it can't pay to apply.

I am not aware of any concession to foreign private pilots refuelling in Denmark.

Administrator

I understand that a UK resident can claim fuel duty drawback for up to 2 years after travel. Does anyone know if this is 2 tax years (ie potentially up to almost 3 calendar years) or is it 2 years from the date of travel?

We may have missed the boat on this but i think our group may have around 7 years of unclaimed fuel duty!

I have been getting fuel duty drawback for years. I don’t leave the claim for as long as you have, but you have nothing to lose in trying. If you would pm me, there are certain aspects that I can clue you up on.

Propman
Nuthampstead , United Kingdom

PM sent, thanks.

I believe it’s two years from the date of export. But I’m not 100% sure.

But why not submit them all anyway. They can only say “no”; nothing worse!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

It is 2 years from the date of export.

If there is any way to go past that, I’d like to know because I did forget once or twice

I know somebody who missed out on much more, I believe.

Administrator

just picking up on this as i could not find anything else
we be on the weekend in the uk
how do i have to do for getting the fuel duty return and how much is it anyway

thanks

fly2000
63 Posts
Sign in to add your message