Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel price remaining high

I’m waiting for LYBE, Europe’s favourite refueling airport, to drop below 1 Euro

I’ll check soon and let you know

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

In the US, Avgas prices don’t rapidly follow market changes immediately, there is often a delay. On auto gas, its price changes daily. Avgas can take a month or more before it follows trends. This is due to the low volume and distribution system. Avgas is trucked in from the major distribution points, so pricing is usually based on the price at the time the truck load leaves the distribution center. A typical truck holds 8000 gallons and for many FBO’s, they buy one or fewer truck loads a month. 100LL at my airport is $5.53 and the highest price within 50 NM is $7.01 with the lowest being $4.14.

KUZA, United States

100LL at my airport is $5.53 and the highest price within 50 NM is $7.01 with the lowest being $4.14.

Which would correspond to € .87 to € 1.48 per liter…. vs € 2.50 in Europe….
Or CHF 1.- to 1.75 per liter. vs CHF 2.65 in Switzerland.

so between 40% and 70% cheaper in the US than in Europe.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Still $14/USG (£2.39/litre = 3€/l) here in Aberdeen….no telling how much Avgas is left in the tanker at that price…

Last Edited by AnthonyQ at 17 Dec 19:11
YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Wow another 50cts/ltr and its what I paid in Greenland.

Most of the price is the result of tax where does that money go? In the US it goes into a trust fund for airport and aviation development.

KHTO, LHTL

Fuel price remaining high

That’s highly relative. Norway lives by selling oil, and when the raw oil prices fall, the refined products take a long time to follow, but the value of the Norwegian currency falls immediately. Of no use to me (to me prices abroad increases while prices at home stay the same), but when converting to €, the prices becomes like this (Statoil at ENVA):

Avgas: €1.33 (€1.64 with taxes) per liter
Jet A1: €0.92 (€1.12 with taxes) per liter

Which means people filling up their tanks in Norway for flight abroad (no sale tax payed), can essentially pay less per liter than some places in the US (1.33 vs 1.48).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Which means people filling up their tanks in Norway for flight abroad (no sale tax payed), can essentially pay less per liter than some places in the US (1.33 vs 1.48).

You can pay more than either of those numbers in the US, if you go plan poorly and end up at an airport that sells very little 100LL. The highest US 100LL price I can see on my iPhone / Foreflight as I write is Washington Dulles at $9.15 USD/USG (1.95 €/Liter).

My base is pumping 100LL off the truck at $5.39 USD/USG today (1.15 €/Liter) but if you want to save money you fly 15 minutes away and fill the tanks for $4.69 self serve (1.00 €/Liter). That might mean burning $30 of fuel to save $15 at the pump, plus getting your hands dirty… but its an excuse to go flying. Otherwise stop on the way home to actually save money out of pocket.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 17 Dec 22:58

Which means people filling up their tanks in Norway for flight abroad (no sale tax payed), can essentially pay less per liter than some places in the US (1.33 vs 1.48). Quote

Is it possible to get the sales tax back , when departing abroad from Norway with a Private aircraft????

spirit49
LOIH

Yes. It is not charged to start with. If using a self-serve pump, the way it works is the terminal will ask you if you will be going abroad after refuelling, and if you select yes, then no tax is charged.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wow. Switzerland used to be like that, but some bright spark at the Finance Ministry thought the country is so big it’s actually unlikely for (private) pilots to ever go abroad….

Sign in to add your message