Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuelstop Portugal/Spain before Atlantic Crossing

In Vagar, yes.

EGTK Oxford

Dominik wrote:

Does the control tower even have the authority to extend the opening hours? It’s not just ATC that has to stay longer, but ground workers, firefighters, etc. too.

All they need it the authority not to give someone landing late any grief, and possibly be a little late in turning off the landing light.

EGTR

Dominik wrote:

Does the control tower even have the authority to extend the opening hours? It’s not just ATC that has to stay longer, but ground workers, firefighters, etc. too.

God your right what am I thinking? I should go to social etiquette school. But then again I was based at an airport that was open 24/7 with an instrument approach. Firefighting and tower during the day only. No fences to climb going in or out.

So I dont see any reason to have anyone hold my hand to land my airplane. The only exception is a PAR approach when the stuff hits the fan but that would be at a military field in any case. Its just another case of make work and collect the fees.

Has anyone ever questioned the need for a tower? How busy does it have to be for a tower to be required?

KHTO, LHTL

I think something over 250 movements per day starts to justify a tower, depending on bottlenecks in the surrounding airspace.

I’ll be watching our Bonanza flying friend and wishing him well today.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 23 Oct 14:26

He had it all planned according to closing times, but we had to solve problem in Austria before departure. It did take big chunk out of his planned time.
He anyway pushed on, and had an ETA about 10 min before closing time at SM. Unfortunately the winds were a bit stronger at the middle part of the route and his ETA was about 5 min after closing time. He descended to get less winds and went ROP, burning 30GAL more on the reminder of the flight. Still he ended being 4 min too late, and had the option for a 700€ extended opening hours fee, or do the 20min hop the next day. He went for the last option.
BUT 4 MIN!! They most be pretty Anal out there in the middle of the ocean. To much fresh air I guess ;)

Today he made the jump to Santa Maria early in the morning and fueled to max. Price at around 1,90€+VAT.
He did however decide to delay his departure about 2 hours due to the forecast at St.Johns. Its slowly getting better up there, and it should be VFR when he lands around 23:50z(my rough estimated calculation). He is IFR qualified, but I guess he wanted the WX on his side after such a long flight.

TAF: CYYT 231140Z 2312/2412 18017G27KT P6SM -RA OVC010 TEMPO 2312/2315 3SM -RA BR OVC008 FM231500 19020G30KT 2SM -RA BR OVC008 TEMPO 2315/2320 6SM -RA BR OVC012 FM232000 24015G25KT 5SM -RA BR OVC015 FM232300 25017G27KT P6SM SCT070 FM240300 30020G30KT P6SM BKN020 BECMG 2409/2411 35025G40KT RMK NXT FCST BY 231800Z

Last Edited by spirit49 at 23 Oct 15:05
spirit49
LOIH

Gosh that is an interesting TAF to depart into on such a long crossing.

EGTK Oxford

Its not that bad it is CYYT. Cat 3 ILS But it is at night and a partially night enroute. I hope he had that Cont engine reworked in Germany last year. Does he have de-ice?

KHTO, LHTL

On his way again and looks like he’s making good progress. Godspeed!

Can you follow that flight? How?

The lowest cloudbase was 800ft. Anything more than 200ft is for sissies!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message