Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 - Display both GPS and NAV on CDI?

I’m currently transitioning from conventional instruments to the G1000.
I’m already checked out but still “finding my way” on the best practices using the G1000 while flying IFR.

Here’s my question:
The aircraft I flew previously had 2x G430 with a CDI connected to each unit.
When flying airways I usually display the GPS track on CDI 1, and the enroute VOR on CDI 2.

Is there a way to do something similar on the G1000? The PFD displays only 1 CDI, which does either GPS or NAV.

Maybe I just need to adopt to the “G1000 way” of doing things…
Then the question is: Suppose you’re on an Airway between two VOR’s, how would you set that up on the G1000?
Do you set the VOR’s as BEARING on the RMI? Or do you not bother at all about the VOR’s and just fly GPS only?

Suppose you’re on an Airway between two VOR’s…

The last time I flew on an airway between two VORs must have been around 1996, so the question sounds rather academic to me

Sorry, I’m not familiar with the G1000, but on our Honeywell display I would set the CDI to FMS (which would be GPS track in your case) and have the next suitable VOR (usually far away from the airway…) displayed as an additional radio needle, similar to an ADF pointer.

Two weeks ago our FMS broke down and we had to do two more flights without waypoint capability. Our dispatcher almost grew grey hair over his countless attempts to file a fligtplan over VORs and ADFs alone. It is simply not possible in central Europe! In the end, we phoned all concerned ATC sectors in advance to get permission to fly with radar vectors alone and filed a normal flight plan over waypoints they knew we couldn’t navigate to. It was an interesting experience…

Last Edited by what_next at 03 Mar 10:00
EDDS - Stuttgart

I’m not a G1000 expert but I suppose it works the same way as other EFIS systems. On my Aspen, I can have 3 navigation sources, two of which are displayed as bearing pointers on the EHSI.

Fly everything with GPS and set up VORs or NDBs on RMI needles if you really want to.

EGTK Oxford

The last time I flew on an airway between two VORs must have been around 1996, so the question sounds rather academic to me

Yesterday I was flying airway N872 which passes the PAM, NIK and CIV VORs. It is true that you most probably will not fly over the VORs as you will get DCTs or vectors. But during IR training I was teached to always set (and use) the enroute VOR/NDB’s, together with GPS.

My previous aircraft did not have a RMI. That’s probably why I was looking for a 2nd CDI while I should use the RMI for that (PFD → BEARING1 and BEARING2 on the G1000). Thanks for your input, guys!

But during IR training I was teached to always set (and use) the enroute VOR/NDB’s, together with GPS.

I bet that will change over time

One can do it via VORs and NDBs. The Big Q is whether

• One can do it via VORs / NDBs and remain within their DOCs (documented coverage distances). This is something you need to prove to the examiner in the UK initial IR test. ATC often give you VORs as waypoints but often you are way outside their DOC. It’s actually an interesting point: in the USA, their airways are still supposed to be based on continuous VOR coverage all the way, the charts give the changeover points, and often the MEA is actually an MRA (minimum VOR reception altitude) and not an obstacle clearance determined MEA. I don’t think the European airway system is designed that way (continuous VOR coverage) even if some segments may appear to be.
  • One can get the FP accepted by Eurocontrol. There is a way to develop supposedly valid routes, by reading the standard route documents, but this requires some dedication and I don’t think many people have that. I know just one pilot who knows how to do it, and he used to work for a firm preparing routepacks for some airlines.
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But during IR training I was teached to always set (and use) the enroute VOR/NDB’s, together with GPS.

I sometimes do to keep occupied.

If the global GPS system goes out I will ask for vectors. The greatest risk is the G1000 falls over but as I have 2 PFDs and two GPS receivers I typically decide to take my chances.

And if both PFDs fail I can’t read the RMI anyway.

Last Edited by JasonC at 03 Mar 11:47
EGTK Oxford

One can get the FP accepted by Eurocontrol.

Our dispatcher, who is a very experienced guy, was unable to get a VOR based flightplan accepted for a route from EDDS to EDDC. Maybe below FL 100, but he didn’t try that.

And regarding instructing/training: The problem starts with the SIDs, many of which can not be flown with conventional navaids, so there is no point in displaying needles to VORs.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I am not familiar with the G1000 but I guess lenthamen is asking whether one can have both an active GPS track and a VOR-based CDI showing on the PFD at the same time.

It would surprise me if that was possible.

When I fly I tend to backup the GPS track with a VOR/DME (if the next WP is a VOR, which maybe 1/3 of them are) but then I have a separate CDI (working from NAV2) which makes that possible. Can a G1000 display two CDIs? I don’t think so.

The problem starts with the SIDs, many of which can not be flown with conventional navaids

Unless a SID/STAR is labelled “RNAV” it “must” be flyable using the navaids which are referenced in the diagrams and those navaids are “supposed” to be within their respective DOCs. So for example this non-RNAV SID

must be flyable by receiving BIG and DET.

Last Edited by Peter at 03 Mar 12:22
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message